Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What is the definition of Schutzhaftlagerführer and Lagerführer??

Article about: Hoping someone can help with defining the meaning of Schutzhaftlagerführer and Lagerführer in the context of German concentration camp administration and two types of camp prisoners; normal

Default What is the definition of Schutzhaftlagerführer and Lagerführer??

Hoping someone can help with defining the meaning of Schutzhaftlagerführer and Lagerführer in the context of German concentration camp administration and two types of camp prisoners; normal prisoners (Häftlings) and protective custody prisoners (Schutzhäftlings)?

Was the Schutzhaftlagerführer deputy commander under the Lagerkommandant (overall camp commander) of all types of prisoners with Lagerführer being a shortened version of Schutzhaftlagerführer? Or were there two types of 'führer' over each prisoner category?

Or perhaps the Lagerkommandant was over the entire camp, and he had two deputies (Schutzhaftlagerführer), one for each type of prisoner?

Or something else entirely?

What was the difference between 'normal' prisoners (Häftlings) and protective custody prisoners (Schutzhäftlings)?

Many thanks for any explanations and links offered
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: What is the definition of Schutzhaftlagerführer and Lagerführer??

Schutzhaftlagerführer head of the "preventive detention camp"
    Lagerführer camp commandant
    hope this helps

tom

It's a bit complicated, but I'll try to explain...

As for the term itself:

Schutzhaftlagerführer could be translated as "Protective Custody Camp Leader"; Lagerführer is just a shorter, somewhat "colloquial" version of this designation; it does not describe a different duty position and does not refer to the camp commandant.

As for the Schutzhaftlagerführer's place in the camp's hierarchy:

A concentration camp's administration broke down into five Abteilungen [Departments]:

Abteilung I - Kommandantur-Stab [Commandant's Office Staff]
    Abteilung II - Politische Abteilung [Political Department]
    Abteilung III - Schutzhaftlager [Protectice Custody Camp] also known as Häftlingslager [Inmate Camp]
    Abteilung IV - Standortverwaltung [General Premises Administration]
    Abteilung V - Sanitätswesen [Medical Matters]

The Schutzhaftlagerführer was the head of Abteilung III (Schutzhaftlager/Häftlingslager) and as such, wielded considerable power as he was in charge of running the actual inmate camp and thus of controlling the inmates (of all inmate categories, naturally), which also included the responsibility for maintaining "order, discipline and cleanliness" and for punishments.

His immediate superior was the Lagerkommandant [= Camp Commandant] as whose deputy he also functioned.

(Larger camps could have up to four Schutzhaftlagerführer, who where in charge of different sections of the camp. In this case, the senior one - who functioned as the Deputy Commandant - was called Erster Schutzhaftlagerführer [= First Protective Custody Camp Leader].)

Subordinate to the Schutzhaftlagerführer were the Rapportführer [= Reporting Leaders], Arbeitsdienstführer [= Labor Duty Leaders], Blockführer [= Block Leaders] and Kommandoführer [= Work Detail Leaders].

Well explained...as usual !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

wow hpl thats some brilliant info

tom

Many thanks that has been very informative and helpful

So in the context of the Auschwitz camp complex each of the camps ie. Auschiwtz I, II and III had their own Schutzhaftlagerführer running them but all reporting to the one Lagerkommandant?

Any thoughts on the difference between the terms, Häftlings and protective custody prisoners (Schutzhäftlings)? Were Häftling convicted criminals and Schutzhäftlings political prisoners?
    Last edited by StefanM; 10-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.

I think the only difference between any of the names you stated may have altered the times at which they were to be Executed.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    So in the context of the Auschwitz camp complex each of the camps ie. Auschiwtz I, II and III had their own Schutzhaftlagerführer running them but all reporting to the one Lagerkommandant?
    No, actually.

The Auschwitz complex consisted of three camps (and many satellite facilities):

• Auschwitz I, the Stammlager (roughly translated "original camp" or "base camp", although the latter term admittedly sound a bit odd in this context) was the original camp and later played the role of an administrative center for the whole camp complex.
    • Auschwitz II (Birkenau) was established in 1941 and was a relatively autonomous body from November 1943 through November 1944 when its administration was amalgamated with the Stammlager. During this period, Auschwitz II had its own Lagerkommandanten; first Friedrich Hartjenstein, then Josef Kramer.
    • Auschwitz III (Monowitz) was an independent camp from from November 1943 through January 1945. (Its Lagerkommandant was Heinrich Schwarz.)

(The numerous satellite facilities of Auschwitz were connected either to Auschwitz I or Auschwitz III.)

You can find a listing of the various Lagerkommandanten and Schutzhaftlagerführer here...:
    Personal im KZ Auschwitz
    ...and organizational tables on pages 7 and 8 of this document:
    http://media.libri.de/shop/magazine-...igramme1_0.pdf

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Any thoughts on the difference between the terms, Häftlings and protective custody prisoners (Schutzhäftlings)? Were Häftling convicted criminals and Schutzhäftlings political prisoners?
    Häftling is just a generic catch-all term simply meaning "inmate".

Schutzhaft [protective custody] was the "legal" basis on which the majority of concentration camp inmates were sent to the camps. (Not all Schutzhäftlinge were political prisoners in the strict sense of the term, though.)

The "criminal" prisoners basically broke down into two categories:

• Befristete Vorbeugehäftlinge [= temporary preventive inmates] or BV-Häftlinge. ("BV" was quickly re-interpreted in camp slang as "Berufsverbrecher", i.e. "Professional Criminals") These were typically repeat offenders or habitual criminals who had already been sentenced several times in the past and were then sent to the camps as a "preventive" measure, often directly after their release from prison.
    • Sicherungsverwahrte [= security detainees] or SV-Häftlinge were judicial prisoners handed over to the camps on the basis of a 1942 agreement between Himmler and the Justice Minister Thierack.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks HPL you have been very helpful—much appreciated