Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Who can read Malay?

Article about: Amongst the legacy of my grandparents, I found a large sea chest containing hundreds of letters, documents, passports, his military uniform, helmet, cap etc. Everything is from the period 19

Default Who can read Malay?

Amongst the legacy of my grandparents, I found a large sea chest containing hundreds of letters, documents, passports, his military uniform, helmet, cap etc.
    Everything is from the period 1939 to 1946 when my grandparents with their son (my father) lived in Indonesia.

When war broke out my grandfather, a KNIL lieutenant was called under arms. He fought for a few days but was captured and taken to a military camp. My grandmother and her son were taken to a civilian camp for 5 years and they barely survived.

I found the original postcards they send eachother during the war.
    Can anyone read Malay ? I posted a few.
    More can be found here :
    Tolbert - bandoeng - a set on Flickr

Regards,

Jos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who can read Malay?   Who can read Malay?  

Who can read Malay?   Who can read Malay?  

Default Re: Who can read Malay?

First of all, i'm sorry for replying an old thread.

This is the translation:

My beloved mamma hanske,

My health is fine. Your mail during hanske birthday (?) i already recieved. I’m glad, both of you in good health. There’s no news from the parents. My occupation now is hospital guard (?). Enough food, having some fun with books, playing chess with Markus, language lesson of ... and javanese. Really want to meet you, hoping we can meet. Please stay healthy, don’t mind about me. Trust to God, many kiss.
    Koos

Your mail, already received. Really happy. Hanske i’m very well now. Together with miss Botke. Hope we can meet as soon as possible. We just have to believe. Here, tjoems (kiss?)
    Hanske hisbis