Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why are Australians obsessed with Gallipolli, Kokoda, Tobruk and Darwin

Article about: A little off topic here but I have a friend who was in the British Army, several Iraq and Afghan tours later he left. Now he does 'merc' work as anti-piracy cruise ship security in the Med.

Default Why are Australians obsessed with Gallipolli, Kokoda, Tobruk and Darwin

Thoughts gents,

?

Default Re: Why are Australians obsessed with Gallipolli, Kokoda, Tobruk and Darwin

I dont know about Darwin, but maybe because AnZac forces participated in those other actions?
    And because AnZac forces fought valiantly at Gallipoli in the face of fierce opposition knowing they practically got sacrificed?

Default Re: Why are Australians obsessed with Gallipolli, Kokoda, Tobruk and Darwin

I would simply say rightly so.

All famous actions and part of the national conscience. All deserve to be remembered. It does not always need to be a victory. Much like us Brits remember Dunkirk and Arnhem.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The Australian Government, media and others portray these conflicts as National examples of Australian Military exploits and heroism whereas (in my time in the Services 80-90's) in the the Australian Defence Force they were used as examples of poor leadership, pandering to politics and contempt of your troops.

Just notable battle honours IMO, obsessed is not the word I would choose.

Both Darwin and Kokoda are alternately described as the "Battle for Australia" - Quite embarrassing really, Japanese shore patrols had landed in Northern Australia by submarine and were just not interested, being hard pressed simply to occupy their Pacific conquests.

I agree absolutely!! Battle honors, yes, but let's not try and state that you alone were responsible for the military outcome.

I'm sorry, I'm venting. I was asked to serve in Iraq & Afghanistan by a friend whom i had served with, for tax-free money. I had said at the time that I wasn't a mercenary and that I didn't believe the actions were justified. Unnfortunately he was killed in action. His widow contacted me, telling me she was going to lose her house as the Australian Tax Office had reversed the tax-concessions. I have given her some money (what I can) pissed off with the distortion of fact

?

No need to be sorry.
    I was just thinking about all the BS propaganda through history myself.
    BTW I was in Iraq and have two tours in Astan under my belt, but it certainly wasnt for the money, cause that paid peanuts (but then I wasnt a merc).
    Sorry about your buddy. Merc work is high pay and high risk, thats for sure.

Thanks Scout,

I can't say a senseless loss but it upsets me all the same, glad you made it back.

Kind regards,

Grant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast