Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

would like help on some images

Article about: the first two images are of my great grandfather. this is what I know of him. he served in the boar war 1900s. and then served in ww1. he was wounded in ww1. I think he was in the east surry

The motorcycle pic is nice. It's a 4 h.p. Bradbury 554 cc single dating from 1914. These came as several different models, with 2 and 3 speed gearboxes and various belt/chain/shaft drive combinations. Price then depending on the model was between £48 up to £59 for the Sturmey-Archer or Armstrong Mk.IV 3 speed.

Regards, Ned.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

FWIW, I think the bike is a 4HP Bradbury, which could be ordered with a 2 or 3 speed vertical hand-shift gear selector. Manufactured probably around 1914. Awesome machine!

Ned, you beat me by one minute! Arrgh!

a big thankyou , gentleman {ned and glen]. every bit of information helps. I borrowed a encyclopaedia of motor bikes from a mate and I couldn't find anything. I didn't know even were to start looking. the date of the bike helps a lot.
    thank you again mark

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Ned, you beat me by one minute! Arrgh!
    Like I said before, "Up in the mornin', that's the game our kid".....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

im still working on my family's military history, the first images posted on this thread are, my mothers side of the family, her grandfathers.

The image I have posted now are on my farthers side of the family.
    unfortunately dad passed last year.
    but through that I have been able to contact his cousin in Liverpool, who still is going strong.
    I always knew that great uncle jimmy was killed in Belgium 1918 at the age of 19.
    he was in the royal garrison artillery.
    dad told me a story, that he also had two other uncles, the two older brothers of Jimmy, that were also serving at the front. And that they all meet up the day before jimmy was killed.
    I could never find any information about jimmy's brothers service, so started to think that they did no serve.
    But with a stroke of luck dads cousin in Liverpool had these photos from witch he sent me a copy.
    he said one the boys even brought his horse with him.
    Jimmy,,,,James is the boy on the right of the photos.

this is image of jimmys,,,james grave taken some time after the war.

I'm will be hopeing that I may have more answers, on all these relatives by next month. there is a guy and his wife over in the UK at moment, who come from Melbourne. that look in to your family history. I've asked him to see what he can find for me. cheers mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture would like help on some images   would like help on some images  

Last edited by geelong; 08-30-2015 at 06:24 AM.

The first image is my grandfather on my mums side from what I know he joined the army 1919-20 served Ireland then India and was a German POW camp guard ww2 camp watton. I've done little thread on him before.

The 2nd image is my grandfather on my dads side joined in 1919 left army in 1933 called up in 39 went to France then Dunkirk. then back to France 44 to berlin. I gave his medals to my brother. cheers mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture would like help on some images   would like help on some images  

Great stuff Mark!

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Great stuff Mark!
    thank you. I am trying to make sure there memory is not forgotten.

the great grandpa that is in the image on the motor bike.
    I have just found out that he was a sapper in the royal engineers 10th coy inland waterways and docks. Discharged (richborough) medically unfit varicose veins 1919. but says operations France. his medal card says british war medal and victory medal. but I have his star. and wound badge. dose anyone know of were I could get a bit more information on his company or there roll in ww1. or may know somthing. thank you mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast