Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 WA airfields

Article about: Hey guys,more of a one for my WA mates but I'm trying to locate a map or schematic of the WW2 airfield in Kalgoorlie,working out in Kambalda recently I found a section of marsden matting(no

?

Default WW2 WA airfields

Hey guys,more of a one for my WA mates but I'm trying to locate a map or schematic of the WW2 airfield in Kalgoorlie,working out in Kambalda recently I found a section of marsden matting(no known WW2 airbase there,may have been purchased surplus by the exploration company..) and it got me wondering again about the exact location and layout of the airbase here...I say again because I've already had a hunt around and think I may have found some old foundations but its all guess work.
    The airport has been shifted to the south a fair bit but on google earth you can see the tail ends of the relateviely modern NS and the WE runways that from what I can gather talking to the oldboys is the old locations of the WW2 runways,to view these are the coordinates 30 46'40.21"S 121 27'21.41"E 30 46'37.16"S 121 28'13.65"E you can just copy and paste these into the search bar of GE.
    Any help would be fantastic,even a small lead or link
    Cheers Sean

Default Re: WW2 WA airfields

Sorry Sean,

I have been to Drysdale in WA and Fenton in the NT, but didn't know about one in Kalgoorlie.

Best of luck.

?

Thanks Grant,hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

?

Any links at all?

Hi Sean,

Try and contact Peter Dunn Peter Dunn and see if he can shed any light on it for you. Can't hurt.

?

Hi Grant

Thanks for that,any good spots for bali? mentioned it to the wife and she's keen...

?

Hi Grant

Cant seem to access outlook any chance of you sending me a pm with his email?

Hi Sean,
    I found this,if it is any use to you.Its from the Point Cook RAAF Museum site.

A pre-war civil airfield, Kalgoorlie-Boulder airfield housed a RAAF Meteorological Service Office from 1940, until the arrival of No 4 Aircraft Depot (AD) in 1942. The role of this depot was to maintain aircraft based at Pearce and Guildford, and repair engines for the US Navy and Qantas Catalinas operating from the Swan River in Perth.

Cheers Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 WA airfields  

?

Hey thank you so much Mick,great to have a actual photo,not even the military museum in Kal cant supply a photo!