Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Service Medal Requirements - HELP!!

Article about: Hi there This may sound like a strange question but my partner's grandfather was enlisted in England from 1950-1952 but has been given a medal for service in WW2. We have his service history

Default WWII Service Medal Requirements - HELP!!

Hi there

This may sound like a strange question but my partner's grandfather was enlisted in England from 1950-1952 but has been given a medal for service in WW2. We have his service history so we know he wasn't in WW2. Can anyone explain as to how he was possibly awarded this medal as we are at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: WWII Service Medal Requirements - HELP!!

Did he serve in any civilian organization for three years during the 1939-45 War, e.g. Civil Nursing Reserve, Police, ARP ? If so he would have qualified for the Defence Medal.

As you don't say what medal he received we can't pursue this thought.

If it was any other war medal.....he was given it by mistake, possibly having the same name as someone who qualified. Unlikely.

Of course, other medals, e.g. GSM and Africa General Service, were being awarded in this period. I haven't checked award criteria, but Army/RAF and Naval General Service Medals were awarded for war-related activities for some time after the war ended, such as Mine-Clearance, Bomb Disposal. Such medals are scarce and valuable. These medals are named on the edge.

Describe the medal or provide pic. and I'll try and nail it down.

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks for the reply. It is just what I call a "General Service" medal as it has the lion standing on top of the dragon and the years 1939-1945 at the top. As he enlisted in 1950 how could he have gotten it? I would post a pic of it but I am having a blonde moment and cant remember how.

?

what colour is the ribbon, has it the malaya bar? if its a gsm it will be named with rank and unit, however what you have described does indeed appear to be the war medal with the red,white and black ribbon, un,named. look forward to your pictures to help clear this up for you. george w,,,,,,,,,,,as a foot note they may have his D.O.B wrong and assumed he was eligable

OK....here is a pic of the medal, hope it works.WWII Service Medal Requirements - HELP!!

Here is the info you require:

The British 1939 -1945 War Medal

Cheers, Ade.

Thanx for the link but that doesnt explain how someone who enlisted in 1950 would be enititled to the medal.

I would simply suggest he picked it up from somewhere or it belonged to another relative? Clearly he would not have been entitled to it himself if he did not serve 1939-1945.

Cheers, Ade.

I would agree with you but from what my partner is telling me apparently her uncle or grandmother wrote to the British MoD or something. I am having a hard time believing that someone would be given a medal, even just a War Service Medal just because they believed they were entitled to it. Call me cynical...lol. Thanks for your help Ade. G'day from DownUnder.

I know you said you have his service history, but is this just from 1950 onwards? Is there any chanced he re-enlisted in 1950 after previous war service? That is all I can think of to explain it.

Cheers, Ade.