Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

3 Ton Half Track Project

Article about: On this thread I intend to show the restoration of the parts I have and anymore I collect in the future. Have still not decided which direction to take, SdKfz 251 or SdKfz 11, that is why at

Default 3 Ton Half Track Project

On this thread I intend to show the restoration of the parts I have and anymore I collect in the future. Have still not decided which direction to take, SdKfz 251 or SdKfz 11, that is why at the moment I am only collecting chassis parts, but I am leaning towards 251, maybe one day even a chassis to put all these parts on.

In the next few weeks I should have another 2 singles and 1 double arriving, so will have a complete set of singles, and at some point this summer I will put together all the parts I have and post a picture on here.

?

i love restoration threads. You better be fast at snapping up sdkfz parts as there is tons of other ones being restored atm

I look forward to the pictures my friend

A great project and I will keep looking to see how you get on.

The 2 single wheels and the double arrived today and they are better than they looked in the pictures I was sent.

I now have enough single wheels and spacers for a complete set for the vehicle, the double has no spacers so these will need to be made. Still need another 6 doubles, in no hurry to find the others as I have enough to keep me busy for many many months. Also the other day I got the second hub cap for the drive sprockets and 2 more hub caps for the running wheels are on their way, plus some more track links.

I have attached some pictures for you all to see, the last one is of the next set to be restored. Have already made a start by making the reinforcing ring, now I just need to remember how to weld, it has been a very long time.

Regards

P.S. Do not know how the last picture of the singles got there, I deleted them twice.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 Ton Half Track Project  
    Last edited by Granatwerfer; 05-21-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Additional Picture

Hello,

They look amazing, especially all lined up together.
    I can see what you mean by having enough to keep you busy for many, many months!
    As I have a new found appreciation of what is involved!

Jonathan.

A little update for all those that are interested.

Have not had much time to do any restoration work since my last post on the 21st May, but have managed to nearly complete the spacer for the single wheels. Just needs the studs replacing, hopefully tomorrow, also managed to get the hub cap to fit, which still needs a little work. See attached picture.

I may not have got much done but I have been collecting parts. I now have 13 more track links, 15 in total, 2 hub cap, 4 more on their way, 1 rubber track pad and 1 HL42 engine mount. see attached pictures. I hope to make a start on a single wheel next week. Also with luck, in a couple of weeks should have an original, complete, differential delivered. Will post pictures when it arrives.

Regards

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Gosh you have collected a lot more parts. Do you know how many links are in an entire track and have some of the track links been sandblasted?
    That rubber track pad looks like new!
    It's coming along just nicely, a great thread and please keep all of us updated!

Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan

I have been a little busy lately, but the supply has dried up for the moment.

For the complete vehicle there are 111 links, 55 on the right and 56 on the left. Yes the links have been blasted before they were sent to me, but they will need a lot more work. The rubber track pad is little used by the look of it, I have enough for all the links I have so far, all of the them in the same condition.

Regards

?

The work you are doing is simply amazing, I wish you the best of luck in your project!
    I can only imagine how hard this could be, what kind of contacts do you need to have to do this?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast