Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Breech block section

Article about: Hi Guys, I recently added this piece to my collection and am trying to identify its source. It came out of the Falaise area and the dealer believed it to be a section of a breech block. If i

Default Breech block section

Hi Guys,

I recently added this piece to my collection and am trying to identify its source. It came out of the Falaise area and the dealer believed it to be a section of a breech block.

If it is, I think it would be either the housing for an interrupted screw block (although most these are cylindrical with no flat sides) or it's from the other end of the breech block where the barrel screws in. I think it is a screw thread rather than rifling.

The piece has flat faces and two flattened sides. The surviving corner is bigger than 90 degrees, possibly suggesting more of a 'nut' shape.

Using some maths, we have worked out that the diameter would have been 8.8 inches (roughly 220mm). Obviously if it is the 'barrel end' then the calibre would be significantly smaller given the thickness of the barrel.

I understand that a positive identification from the few photos below is nearly impossible but perhaps somebody might have a better idea as to where to start looking for one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Breech block sectionBreech block sectionBreech block sectionBreech block sectionBreech block sectionBreech block section

I hope some one helps you crack this code.

Stunningly presented...thank you for making the effort.

Quote by Composite View Post
    I hope some one helps you crack this code.

Stunningly presented...thank you for making the effort.
    I agree and for what it's worth I would put money on that being most definately a section of screwthread.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."