Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decaying Pz.Kw. IV in a spanish army camp.

Article about: Gentlemen, Here are the consecuences of not giving importance to our recent history. I filmed this Pz. Kw. IV tank eight years ago in the front yard of a Cavalry military camp in Madrid. It

Default Decaying Pz.Kw. IV in a spanish army camp.

Gentlemen,

Here are the consecuences of not giving importance to our recent history.

I filmed this Pz. Kw. IV tank eight years ago in the front yard of a Cavalry military camp in Madrid. It came to Spain together with other 23 tanks in a german ship that had to seek refuge in a spanish port in 1943 after the captain detected allied ships in the area. The tanks were subsecuently used in a cavalry unit until the sixties. One unit was sent to the spanish tank museum and this one was left in the front yard, quietly rusting. The others were used for target practice or scrapped.

I know that some collectors spoke with the higher authorities of the camp to buy the tank, or at least be able to make a joint venture to preserve it better, but all the negotiations reached a dead end.

A pity.

Regards,

Gus

Default Re: Decaying Pz.Kw. IV in a spanish army camp.

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    Gentlemen,

Here are the consecuences of not giving importance to our recent history.

I filmed this Pz. Kw. IV tank eight years ago in the front yard of a ..... and this one was left in the front yard, quietly rusting.

A pity.

Regards,

Gus
    I used to collect old cars and was always pleased when I could find one to add to the collection coming from Spain as they had much less rust then the one's I fund op North.
    I don't think we will live the day that thise one crumbles and falls a part.

?

Very interesting, I think in this military unit is a couple of other tanks too, the Soviet T 26's
    There a lot of Soviet T-26's in Spain after the civil war
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    similar state to the one in the other thread shes an old lady now and needs care as not to slip away a sleeping giant indeed.
    Phil,

I uploaded the video precisely because it reminded me of the Pskov Stug photos you posted.

It is a shame to see a piece of history rusting before your eyes and no authority moving their asses to do something about it.

Regards,

Gus

By no means were these tanks all scrapped or used for target practice.Along with France, Spain sold the majority of it's Pz.Kw IV's to Syria in the 1960's, where they were used as target practice by the Israeli Air Force during the six day war. I wonder if any survive over there?
    Cheers, Ned.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Very interesting, I think in this military unit is a couple of other tanks too, the Soviet T 26's
    There a lot of Soviet T-26's in Spain after the civil war
    Dimas,

You are right. It is the Light Cavalry Armoured Regiment "Villaviciosa 14", located in Pozuelo, Madrid. There is a nice soviet T-26 tank, and an american M-24 Chafee tank as well, all of them at the mercy of the elements.

Luckily, there are still many well preserved T-26 tanks out of the more or less 300 units that fought in the SCW. Some are in private hands, but most of them in museums and military bases of Spain.

Regards,

Gus

Quote by big ned View Post
    By no means were these tanks all scrapped or used for target practice.Along with France, Spain sold the majority of it's Pz.Kw IV's to Syria in the 1960's, where they were used as target practice by the Israeli Air Force during the six day war. I wonder if any survive over there?
    Cheers, Ned.
    Ned,

You are right. I stand corrected.

Out of the batch of 20 tanks, it seems that some were sold to Syria in the sixties, all of them used as static defensive positions, as they were not mobile, because they lacked the engine replacement parts to make them run.

Regards,

Gus

Makes you want to grab hold of whoever is responsible for that tank and give them a damn good SHAKE !!!!

History ........... some people just don't like it unfortunately. Or are too damn pig headed to let bygones be bygones.

I say we go and 'liberate' it ! Dimas is bound to be able to get us a dozer tank to drag it away

Steve T

Shame, a damn shame. Seems that in our time with "facebook" and the like maybe a group can be formed to promote the preservation of history to let all our politicians know how we may want some of our tax dollars to be spent.

Vicente
    ?

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    It came to Spain together with other 23 tanks in a german ship that had to seek refuge in a spanish port in 1943 after the captain detected allied ships in the area. The tanks were subsecuently used in a cavalry unit until the sixties. One unit was sent to the spanish tank museum and this one was left in the front yard, quietly rusting. The others were used for target practice or scrapped.
    Gus
    This is a childrenĀ“s tale. Really the 20 Pz IV and 8 Stug III was part of the "Bear Program" of military assistance from Germany to the Spanish Army.

Recently the tank was totally restored and moving.

Spanish Panzer IV - All Empires

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast