Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Falaise Jagdpanther Unit Marking

Article about: Just been searching for more info on this , 2 Jagdpanthers from this unit were knocked out by Scots Guards Churchills of 6th Guards Armoured Brigade during Operation Bluecoat , south of Caum

Thanks for all the input on this guys. So we can tentatively say that this was a marking to establish the division that made the kill. Also, interesting to see that at least one photo has been reproduced. I suppose there would have been copies of such things floating around though. Cheers.

?

Thx for starting the thread.
    Interesting pics and lively debate with some good input - couldnt ask for anything more.

Great thread and all i can add is that it does look more like a Griffin rather than a Dragon!..

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    who pinched the tracks ??????
    Probably a chap called Mr. Seventeen pounder I am now beginning to think that the insignia resembles a sphinx?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Probably a chap called Mr. Seventeen pounder I am now beginning to think that the insignia resembles a sphinx?
    It looks like a Wyvern to me mate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Falaise Jagdpanther Unit Marking  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It looks like a Wyvern to me mate.
    Correct, it's only got two legs!......

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Correct, it's only got two legs!......
    And the looped tail, the raised foreleg, the spread wings, the head in the right place etc....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes, I agree. I was just throwing another suggestion in there to see if there are any takers . The little bit of research I have done (not that I have endless resources on the Battle of Falaise) would certainly make sense with regards to the 43rd Div. Thanks for the time and research you put into it, and also to everyone else who commented

?

Default Addition

Quote by nomis View Post
    The third photo is a different vehicle, either recovery Panther, or damaged Panther. I would think a recovery [turretless] Panther.

SF.

Third photo down in the original posting IS a BergePanther Recovery vehicle, identified as such by the cable roller set up on the rear decking and the raised box-like structure which can just be made out about half way down on the upper hull.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Just been searching for more info on this , 2 Jagdpanthers from this unit were knocked out by Scots Guards Churchills of 6th Guards Armoured Brigade during Operation Bluecoat , south of Caumont near Hill 226 .

The Wessex Wyverns were involved in Operation Bluecoat as part of XXX Corps , the 2 Jagdpanthers had been blown up by their own crews following them being disabled due to destruction of their tracks and suspension !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast