Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Flak 88 Monocular ?

Article about: This is a really nice souvenir piece and coming from the most famous gun of the war whatever it's actual role in the sighting / obs system i like it !!

?

Default re: Flak 88 Monocular ?

This is a really nice souvenir piece and coming from the most famous gun of the war whatever it's actual role in the sighting / obs system i like it !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Still no luck on determining this optics true purpose!

I have been told that few examples of it are in Eyes Of the Wehrmacht by Stephen Rohan, but the book is no longer being printed!

Also, could a mod kindly change the title of the thread to "Flak 88 monocular"?

Thank you kindly walkwolf!

?

Default Re: Flak 88 Monocular ?

The lack of a reticule isn't necessarily odd- I have a definite gunsight from a Sturmgeschütz (and other vehicles) that doesn't have one- it was removed, perhaps to 'de-mil' it. In my case the reticule is marked on a separate little piece of glass, so it's possible that was the case here too.

And since the actual 8,8cm cannon-armed Tiger's sight, the TZF9b, had a maximum magnification of only 5x, I would wonder if this doubly-powerful 10x telescope was normally for engaging ground targets- it seems excessive. Since it was a secondarly purpose, I'd think it more likely this scope was for its usual antiaircraft function; afterall, ground targets are engaged at maybe 1000m, while air targets would regularly be at 9000m+, so you need a powerful telescope to see them...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Has anyone seen something similar? .... has about 10-13 cm ... "AUSSEN ENDE"

is not found in an abandoned airport, is found between two functional airports, a few miles between airports, those airports was often Luftwaffe bases, around is filled with cartridges, ID tag and other pieces of aluminum ... full of USA cartridge/ tube .... from B24 Liberator ....

... is the protection cap for the cable roll from FLAK 88 , or Flak-Scheinwerfer ???

... POSSIBLE a bomb head protector during transport? ... a lavatory cistern valve from a JU2??

Thank You !

Flak 88 Monocular ?Flak 88 Monocular ?

uhh, what is the purpose of posting a non pertinent question a thread regarding my 88 monocular?

?

yes ... I thought I found some experts in FLAK 88 ... or artillery ... because there is little posts on FLAK 88 .

I'll open another Thread .

sorry about that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2