Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German lorry body

Article about: Hi Radek, that is really great news! Cheers, Ade.

?

Default German lorry body

Hi guys,
    can somebody tell me what kind of german lorry was this? The body is from aluminium.
    Cheers Radek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German lorry body   German lorry body  

German lorry body   German lorry body  

CMc
    ?

Default Re: German lorry body

I'm not really sure, it's a shame the chassis-cab have long since been parted with the body (probably used as a general haulage vehicle by a civilian firm after the war.), but I take it we're dealing with a three-axle chassis, judging by the length of that wheelarch aperture. It also seems to have had a bit of an overhang behind the back wheels. A quick look on Engines of the Red Army in WW2 makes me think the body might have been on a 6X4 Henschel, the proportions look about right to me.

Regarding what it was used for, I'm not sure. I don't think it was an ambulance, there don't appear to be the remains of any white/red markings, which would likely have been quite prominent. Plus, although these things were by no means always present in 1940s ambulances, particularly military ones built on general-purpose chassis-cabs, the lack of a door between the cab and body would be a disadvantage.

Other than that there don't appear to be many holes where a comms-mast and similar equipment might have been bolted on, I'd be tempted to guess some sort of communications vehicle, or maybe some sort of mobile workshop? Actually, the bronze-green colour of that body makes me wonder if it's German at all? Could it have been attached to a lend-leased American vehcile used by Soviet forces? I've seen U.S.-made GMC comms-vehicles with similar bodies, and GMC 'Jimmies' were used by pretty much all the Allied forces in World War II.

?

any reply from another forum
    Mercedes LG3000
    Attached Images Attached Images German lorry body 

CMc
    ?

You're right, that's a very good match for the one you found. So it was German then. Do you know what those bodies were used for then? I'm still thinking mobile workshop.

?

On the picture of the renovation from the Germany, is the radio body.

CMc
    ?

Oh good, one of my guesses was sort of right then! Actually it doesn't seem to be in terrible condition that body, you could probably find a good use for that! Even if you didn't have a suitable lorry chassis to fit it, it'd make a good garden shed!

?

The body isn´t my. And the germany vehicles aren´t my interest. I gave the idea to my friend. Now he is thinking about this project. :-) Maybe in the next years will be on the road the replica of MB with original body.

Hi Radek, I hope this body gets saved by your friend.

Cheers, Ade.

?

If not, I have the last place on the garden neer the K2/Y body. :-)))

?

Hi, this is great find!!!! One chap from another forum post to me the picture of the lorry in fireman service after the ww2. The body is from this lorry! The location of the vilage where was the picture made and the body find is not so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images German lorry body 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast