Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panther Tank ID Plate?

Article about: Has anyone ever seen something like this and is it even original? Thanks in advance! -John

Default Panther Tank ID Plate?

Has anyone ever seen something like this and is it even original?

Thanks in advance!
    -John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panther Tank ID Plate?   Panther Tank ID Plate?  

Panther Tank ID Plate?  

The man to go to with these things is Hilary Louis Doyle mate, can be found on Facebook, an expert on this stuff and might even have a log of the serial numbers if this is indeed real. I'm afraid this isn't something I know a great deal about.

Regards
    Harvey

it would be very interesting to find the correct info' on this plate..

Hi John
    The information on this data plate is quite correct in that its saying its a Daimler-Benz, Berlin (cuw) built Panther G of July 1944 (124 591), but is the plate genuine, not sure, am uneasy about, its very "clean", but just my own feelings of course.

Have you any provenance for it ?

cheers lennard

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

This plate was for sale on eBay back in late March, I didn't end up getting it since it sold close to $1k. I thought it was a neat piece but I wasn't prepared to drop that kind of money for it. Since I couldnt find any comparable prices I wasn't going to throw in a hefty bid. Also, I was worried like Lennard about its authenticity. I do recall the seller saying a family member brought it back from the war. But then again who knows if thats true or not.

Hi John
    A staggering price, which is why people fake them, finding out what information they should have stamped on a plate is very very easy.

All the others for Panthers I have seen have all been steel plates and therefore very rusty, however non-steel, usually zinc or similar, is not unknown for Panthers and other vehicles, so..................??

One of the points I did not like, apart from the metal type, is the stamping CUW, its done in capital letter stamps, where they should all be in low case letter stamps. capital letter stamps are easy to buy, but lower case is more difficult. But again capital stamps used in lieu of lower case does happen, also it just so happens that the letters C, U, W, can look alike in either capital or lower case stamps, c, u, w, not so with others like b, k, d etc., as the capitals are B, K, D, maybe just a coincidence ??.

On one of the Panther plates I have seen the waffenamp stamp is upsidedown............did it matter, apparently not, it got used.

Anyway I could be entirely wrong :-) its a dodgy field of information.

cheers lennard

two things...firstly, what's behind the orange thing?...is it the "offensive" thing? ('not asking if you did it, just curious)

+ This item LOOKS like something that's been cast..and then hit with letter/number stamps....for a grand a piece, would this be easy to replicate (I'm not a metalorologist/ metaurgicalist/metalist whatever!)...but someone's bound to catch on (although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that "they've been copied since the '70s" or similar

Quote by Composite View Post
    what's behind the orange thing?...is it the "offensive" thing? ('not asking if you did it, just curious)
    I believe a waffenamt containing the offensive thing is behind the orange square. The seller put that there in hopes it wouldn't get kicked off eBay.

Hi,

Its certainly a thick plate, and its possibly also acid etched, as the roughtly surafced "black" areas are lower that the "silver" (natural metal) areas. Nearly all German data plates were acid etched to have differences in surface levels between the black and silver areas.

One of the few exceptions to the was the VW data plates, which were thin pressed steel in order to get raised surfaces.

And you can certainly go back to the 70's for fake plates and a little further than that for the Infantrie Karrier trailer (Jf8).

cheeers lennard
    Last edited by lennard; 06-30-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Purchasing this for that sort of money would require a leap of faith as without strong provenance the chances of it being a reproduction would have to be high. Plates like this are not difficult to fake. Interestingly the plate from the Tiger tank is somewhat different, see silver plate to the right in photo, and riveted in place. Different tank, but...

Panther Tank ID Plate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast