Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2

Article about: Well here are a few more photos of the work going on at the Borden Wirlwind, I took these a couple of weeks ago. This morning I recived more photos of it with the turret off as this was done

?

Default Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2

Well here are a few more photos of the work going on at the Borden Wirlwind, I took these a couple of weeks ago.
    This morning I recived more photos of it with the turret off as this was done this past weekend, and as soon as I can figure out how to get those photos from my email, I will post them

In these photos you can see the gun mount has been removed.

Dean O
    Canada

Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2Restoring the Wirlwind Part 2

Thanks for showing these detailed photos of the engine compartment etc...I've never seen a Wirbelwind up close...As a former Tanker, I have a special interest in Battle-Wagons...
    cheers, Glenn

?

A Former Tanker EH!!! Do you know the most feared sound that a Soviet Tanker can hear??? ( Yes I was in during the cold war) It is the single loud "ping" of a .50 spotter round, because those Tankers know that a Canadian 106MM Recoiless Rifle round is coming right up it's ass!!!! LOL I trained on those, even while a Medic!!

Glad you liked the photos and I will get more in a week or 2 when I go back there, and as the turret is now off, I will get some close ups of the interior.

Now here is a problem I have with the restoration.... they have found someone to replace the damaged rubber on some of the road wheels, if they were to get this running I would understand and would support it, but if it not going to be restored to running, I think they should keep it the way it is as all the damage is part of her history... just my thoughts.

Yes they would like to get her running again, however that would require a lot of work and money, and here in Canada there is NO money for such things.
    Because I have donated to this museum, and those items are on display... not packed away, and I have helped in many ways for them, I do get a bit of an inside scoop

Jim, the Tech Officer for the Museum has, for the first time for this Museum, gone out to see who can help, and there is a Tech College that is working with them.. and I feel that is great, however I have seen this happen once or twice in the past, and the schools were really into it at the start, but really failed to come through. So there we are.

I can only hope for the best and expect the worse... but hope is always there.
    Sorry on my soap box again

I am told that there are only 2 of type of "Tank" left in the world, maybe yes, maybe no.. it is part of history and has been sitting outside for near 70 years...lets hope things get done.

Now on a lighter note, maybe I am part of the reason this has started, a few years ago, when she was outside and looking poorly, I offered to help repaint her in the proper colours, and do what I could to make her look better, of course the museum had no money.. but at least 2 times a years I mentined it again and would not let it go, telling those at the museum how rare this unit was, as I did research I found out more and told them... they were not against it... but again, no money.

Perhaps my reseach into the Missing King Tiger, the Tiger and the hunting Tiger, that all went missing in the very late 40s kick started this endevor... I am almost sure where they are buried, and after much research, I think I am correct... but thats another story

Thank you again for your comments, and again please take no offense at my "anti-Tank" jokes

By the way, too bad you are not closer to where I live, as I can get you into that area so you could climb that "tank' as well as take as many photos as you would like....sorry no free samples!!!

Dean O
    Canada

Thanks for the info, do you know where is was found? Any Pre-Restoration Photos?
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

Great job Dean, a little WD-40 and she'll be fine!

You for one do all you can to keep history alive, and I think you for it. Keep up the great work.

?

Glen I can tell you this came back to Canada, because of a well known Canadian Writer, someone that Americans have never heard of..I will not go into that, but I will check his books to see what I an find my Friend.

Dean O

?

Here`s some pics of the one at Camp Borden.....https://www.google.ca/search?q=wirbe...PT9djp91VBfrM:
    JEDEM DAS SEINE