MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stug 40 recovery in Russia

Article about: Here's the same stug lll on display after it's been all cleaned.

Here's the same stug lll on display after it's been all cleaned.Stug 40 recovery in Russia

I seem to remember that the thing had been vandalised and looted before it's arrival in the park above, and again since then. Indeed, the Fu.8 radio system was shown on this forum by an Australian member as being in his possesion IIRC.

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: Here's a linkypoo.

Demjansk Stug

And another here.

Stug III Radio.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Any thoughts anyone on why the tank was upside down when found?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think it must have just flipped over because of something or someone flipped it over on purpose not really sure.

or bulldozed over into a bomb crater or pit
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Reading through the other forum threads concerning this tank, it appears to have been travelling over a frozen lake which it went through, explaing why it was turned over. The crew did not survive, as the remains were still inside when recovered. Looking at the schematics of this tank the escape hatches were useless as equipment blocked them.

?

Thank God it's not "Pink".. Yet !! G

The STuG in question was found in a bog where it had sunk and became inverted during that process. There were no members of the crew found onboard contrary to many reports, and no real signs of serious battle damage. Indeed, it appears that the vehicle may well have ran out of fuel and was abandoned as there was little sign of any in the fuel tank. I'm not sure if demolition charges were carried in all German AFV's at the time,(Tiger's got them in 1943) but if they had them in this STuG they weren't used perhaps because they didn't have time or they just never bothered.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Broke thru frozen river

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2