Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tiger commanders hatch operation

Article about: Hi Gentlemen I have a request for this part of the forum is anyone aware or even have a film clip in any digital format of the commanders hatch of an early to mid tiger tank being opened or

Default Tiger commanders hatch operation

Hi Gentlemen I have a request for this part of the forum is anyone aware or even have a film clip in any digital format of the commanders hatch of an early to mid tiger tank being opened or closed by the commander either period or recent ie tiger 131 I wish to include an opening and closing hatch on a rc scale model tiger and need the reference material was it a 2 handed pull down or was it possible to close with one hand I refer to the early tigers with the pull down hatch not the later twist to one side type any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated .thanks in advance for any help you could offer. Rob

Hi

Is this picture of any use.

Tiger commanders hatch operation

Regards

cheers granatwerfer appreciate you taking the time to reply to my request .that's the hatch im interested in the later ones were flat and twisted to one side to open .I know the hatches were fitted with a preload spring to help support the weight when the hatch was closed and they could also be pulled shut with the use of an attached lanyard although I cant see that in your picture though no suprise there all wartime vehicles were a constantly evolving species throughout the war .I have seen tiger 131 many times at bovington but have never seen them close or open the hatch whilst its been in the arena and its a film clip I could really use of how they open/close the hatch either with the tank stationary or moving just to get a true idea of how its done one or two handed as if the commander were buttoning up the tank for combat .thanks once again for the picture though they all come in handy for detail work, so many pictures are of single tigers to see a convoy in one makes me feel sorry for the poor lads that had to try and stop them .all the best mate Rob