Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tiger production time

Article about: Hello Everyone, For a upcoming University paper I am looking to find out how long it took to produce a Tiger tank and roughly how many were produced. If anyone can help I would be eternally

Default Tiger production time

Hello Everyone,

For a upcoming University paper I am looking to find out how long it took to produce a Tiger tank and roughly how many were produced. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

Many Thanks

Robin

Tiger I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This should answer all your questions

A terrifying tank, but not without its problems. Arguably bested by the Panther IMO for performance vs. cost vs. versatility.

Thanks for the replies, the wikipedia answer is good however does not answer the question on average how long did it take to build a Tiger

You will not be able to find a average because of changing variables. It would be best to just state the time variation of production due to other variables (for example labor, material shortages, bombing ect)

"Production of the Tiger I began in August 1942, and 1,355 were built by August 1944 when production ceased. Production started at a rate of 25 per month and peaked in April 1944 at 104 per month."
    "It took about twice as long to build a Tiger I as another German tank of the period"

Thanks KMMorris, I think for my comparisons I will have to go with cost and overall amount produced rather than time taken.

The Wikipedia article cites an extensive Bibliography. If you are in collage/university it might be worth your while to look up these sources in the library (or) order which ever publication through an interlibrary loan. There may be many details in these sources not mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

My 2 cents
    Chris......

Original pics of the production line.
    Tiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production timeTiger production time

The bridges quite often couldn't carry the weight of these heavy tanks...their width proved to be a problem when transporting them on standard rail-cars as well...and then we have the high maintenance & fuel-guzzling issues, which Germany could ill afford...Nevertheless, under favorable conditions and with a well-trained crew, the Tiger I was a formidable fighting vehicle...
    Thanks for these great photos of the assembly-line...
    cheers, Glenn

[QUOTE"Production of the Tiger I began in August 1942, and 1,355 were built by August 1944 when production ceased. Production started at a rate of 25 per month and peaked in April 1944 at 104 per month."
    [/QUOTE]

So then...if not molested by bombings and supply shortages, about the best ramped up production rate peaked out at about abit more than 3 Tigers per day? Impressive.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast