Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Tigre in Vimoutiers

Article about: Hello guys, at the end of the sixties, every time I left the pocket, I stopped at this tank. Happy days, no collectors in the place

Rather than a full restoration to running condition, prohibitive costs. I would rather they restore it cosmetically as much as possible back to it's state after its destruction by the crew. The damage done to it then is part of its history, if they take it back down to pieces and rebuild it as factory new then much of the history is lost.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Rather than a full restoration to running condition, prohibitive costs. I would rather they restore it cosmetically as much as possible back to it's state after its destruction by the crew. The damage done to it then is part of its history, if they take it back down to pieces and rebuild it as factory new then much of the history is lost.
    Too true! I am reminded of the abhorrant image of those 'American Restoration ' clowns stripping a graffitied Vietnam chopper pilots helmet, repainting it and writing the graffiti back on with a sharpie! !!!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

When restoration become complete rebuild then I think we are losing sight of the history of the item in question.

"The damage done to it, is part of its history, if they take it back down to pieces and rebuild it as factory new then much of the history is lost".

Excellent point, we need to restore this Tiger and keep it's originality/history as well.

I'm all for a "runner" restoration, but.. the costs and finding all the bits and pieces wil be nigh impossible.

But, with a bit of thought?.. can we bring it back to it's original knocked out state?

I wonder if in a display, we could have the Tiger back in 1944, just after it was abandoned by it's crew?

Clean it up, treat the rust, weld the holes/cracks, oil the tracks??

Take a look at this Panther (Ausf A), it was blown up by it's crew, also in 1944 - it looks fantastic:

Panther tank wreck at the Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim

Called in last week, here are a few pictures...

Sorry but just could not resist one of them !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tigre in Vimoutiers   Tigre in Vimoutiers  

Tigre in Vimoutiers   Tigre in Vimoutiers  

Tigre in Vimoutiers  

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Called in last week, here are a few pictures...

Sorry but just could not resist one of them !!
    No paltry wire fence can cage the beast.........i mean the tank of course
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    No paltry wire fence can cage the beast.........i mean the tank of course
    Couldn't resist, long drive, had to be done !!

?

Still there in June 2019, impressive in the Normandy Landscape, but not as massive as the King Tigre of La Gleize:

Salut

In the seventies , I think :

Tigre in Vimoutiers
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6