Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Tigre in Vimoutiers

Article about: Hello guys, at the end of the sixties, every time I left the pocket, I stopped at this tank. Happy days, no collectors in the place

Default Tigre in Vimoutiers

Hello guys, at the end of the sixties, every time I left the pocket, I stopped at this tank.

Happy days, no collectors in the place

Default Re: Tigre in Vimoutiers

Great photo, the only Tiger i've seen in the flesh is 131 at Bovington.

?

I think I'd be pretty darn happy to see a beast like that today. Wreck or not.

Any idea what unit it was from, or what happened to the crew?

Is that traces of Zimmerit on the hull?

Nice picture. I remember when 'After The Battle' magazine did a feature on the Tiger's recovery from the ditch. I seem to remember that Alain Roudeix was heavily involved with it.

great looking tiger. I am glad they saved it. I wonder what ever happened to the panthers that were left behind??? Well Another place to visit when I came to France someday.
    thanks for sharing the photos.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Hi

You were there at a good time for sure.

I arrived in the mid 1990's and it had a make over!

Tigre in Vimoutiers

cheers

tony

guns ltd-the French army recovered as many Panthers as possible after the war, refitted them and used 2 battalions of them-they were determined to be as militarily independent as possible from the US and Britain and had no qualms about using German stuff-the air force used FW 190s, Fiesler Storchs and Junkers 52s amongst others that had been made in factories set up in France during the occupation (this meant they had access to spares as well without which equipment rapidly becomes unserviceable).

It's absolutely one of my favourite NW Europe relics and I've visited it many, many times over the years. Yes, it's been stripped and messed about with and I sympathize with those who say it should be kept under cover, etc.

But it stands overlooking the battlefield and as you climb the hill from Vimoutiers it never fails to send a shiver down the spine......

It really is the real deal.

?

Most of the Panzers lost in Normandy in particular Faiiase ended up in the scrapyards , some of the richest families in Normandy are the scrap families who cleared the Battlefields after the war , they made a fortune. The Vimoutiers Tiger would have gone the same way if it hadn't been saved for us all to admire, Like Martin i have been to it many times and every time as you approach it on it's hill coming up from the Town and round the bend it still sends a shiver up the spine when it comes into view !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast