Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Track links and return wheels

Article about: hey datrus you've got more british vehicles parts than me . here's a pic of a valentine wreck on pirbright range in surrey you can just make out the top of the track sticking out of the grou

Default Re: Track links and return wheels

hey datrus you've got more british vehicles parts than me . here's a pic of a valentine wreck on pirbright range in surrey you can just make out the top of the track sticking out of the ground.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Track links and return wheels  

?

Quote by steverobertsbbc View Post
    The link shown in the lower two photos is from a British Valentine tank or derivatives (eg Archer self-propelled gun), which were supplied to the Russian army during the war. The link at the top I'm still looking for, but I think I've chased that type before without success. It's definitely not from a Panzer III though!
    Good spot Steve !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I think Eddy nailed the second link that i am holding.

thanks datrus but if it wasn't for steve id'ing it i doubt i could have come up with the answer.

I really want to nail that top one now, it's driving me crazy. The information in the thread on the other forum that I linked to earlier ( Unbekanntes Kettenglied - Militaria Fundforum ) has a selection of pictures and also some information about the dimensions. It's 42cm wide, which puts it smack into medium tank territory (a Panzer IV track was 40cm wide). We're looking for a chassis that use a single centre sprocket drive, plus a single road wheel that passes between the two guide horns - because that's the only part of the link with a flat load-bearing surface. And those guide horns are totally weird too - their curved shape is unlike any link I've seen before.

Steve, is it possible to actually post the photos here please? I cannot access the photos from the link you provided and don't see the point in joining that forum merely to see them. Thank you.
    Tom

I can't link directly because of the way they are hosted, so I've copied a reasonable view of top and bottom and hosted them on my own webspace:

I've e-mailed a contact at the Kubinka tank museum to see if he or his colleagues can identify it.

?

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    thanks datrus but if it wasn't for steve id'ing it i doubt i could have come up with the answer.
    Most certainly. I did not want to take anything from Steve's part. Really a nice "ID'ing". I was staring myself blind on Gaerman and Russian vehicles. Thanks again Steve

?

Quote by steverobertsbbc View Post
    I've e-mailed a contact at the Kubinka tank museum to see if he or his colleagues can identify it.
    Damn Steve. I only saw this after i posted my previous answer. Really really nice of you to put so much work into this. I almost feel embarrassed. Almost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast