Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 Stuka

Article about: Hello all, I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and thanks to the suggestions of Bob Coleman and Harryamb2 I made it to the Museum of Science+Industry there. They have a Stuka, captured the Nort

?

Default Type IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 Stuka

Hello all,

I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and thanks to the suggestions of Bob Coleman and Harryamb2 I made it to the Museum of Science+Industry there. They have a Stuka, captured the North Africa theater, and U-505, a Type IX-C U-boat. Apparently the U-boat used to be outside in the open weather but now they house it indoors. It is displayed rather nicely with a torpedo leaving one of the tubes. I will share a few photos. I took several but my camera was not on the right setting and most did not come out well enough to share. I was very disappointed that they were sold out of tickets for the interior tours of U-505 that day so I just have a couple exterior shots.

Hummel

Ju-87R-2 Stuka.
    Type IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 StukaType IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 StukaType IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 Stuka

U-505 Type IX-C
    Type IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 Stuka
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type IX-C U-505 and a Ju-87R-2 Stuka  

I didn't know there was a Stuka in the US, very cool! I notice it's missing the wheel-covers...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I didn't know there was a Stuka in the US, very cool! I notice it's missing the wheel-covers...
    cheers, Glenn
    I actually wondered who would be the first to mention that old chestnut again, it didn't take long! The wheel spats were removed in this case as they used to cause sand to become clogged up around the oleo legs and wheels which could cause serious problems especially when landing. Likewise they could dig in during landing on soft sand causing ground loops, or worse. It's not a well known fact that the Ju87 undercarriage was renowned for being rather weak which may sound suprising, but is true.

They were also regularly removed from aircraft on the Eastern front, as similar problems were encountered with picking up mud which then froze, as well as ice and snow. Doing so helped negate the problem to a fair degree.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hey, great pictures and thanks for sharing - a damned pity that the you could have a tour of the sub though.

Just as a matter of interest, do they actually dust the planes? (Sorry - my mind wanders at times)

Cheers
    Tim

?

Looks like a great museum. Sorry to hear you missed out on the Sub tour.

Thanks for the pic's
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Allegra View Post
    Hey, great pictures and thanks for sharing - a damned pity that the you could have a tour of the sub though.

Just as a matter of interest, do they actually dust the planes? (Sorry - my mind wanders at times)

Cheers
    Tim
    Not generally no. The last time they tried to get the Stuka down from the ceiling for a bit of a spring clean, they dropped it! It then spent a rather long time being taken away and repaired at great cost.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So with the spats removed what happens with the sirens?

A silent stuka??......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    So with the spats removed what happens with the sirens?

A silent stuka??......
    Hi Dan,

The siren, or 'Jericho Trumpet', was only really used at the very start of the war in Poland, France and the low countries. By the time of the Battle of Britain they'd gone by most reports, as they curtailed the airspeed of the already slow aircraft. By the time the 'R' series above was in production they were long gone. The Germans did however fit a type of 'tin whistle' to some of their bombs at times (as did the RAF) for the same reason of frightening those getting the good news below, but these also petered out as things got more pressing.

Regards, Ned.

Thanks old bean, a walking encyclopedia as always!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "