Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra

Article about: The one and Only WW1 German tank Mephisto has arrived at the Canberra War Memorial in the nations capitol , It has made its way down from the Queensland Museum and will be on display in Anza

Default WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra

The one and Only WW1 German tank Mephisto has arrived at the Canberra War Memorial in the nations capitol , It has made its way down from the Queensland Museum and will be on display in Anzac Hall until April 2017 , it has been fully restored .

WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial CanberraWW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial CanberraWW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial CanberraWW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial CanberraWW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial CanberraWW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial CanberraWW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra

Hello,

Thanks for the pictures, really great! Now I will have to go there to see it with my own eyes!

A.

Wow .... well there goes the decider! The maroons cant win now that Mephisto is down south! !
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

A state versus state, mate versus mate football game for you northerners. ......

?

I can remember as a child climbing on the old girl when it was still displayed outside in the elements at the rear entrance to the Queensland museum. Now it has to be in a airtight bubble everywhere it goes. How times have changed.

What's happened to the conning tower on top of the vehicle?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    What's happened to the conning tower on top of the vehicle?
    Looks like it aint had the "tower" for a while, it's missing on this 1919 photo of it being dragged to the Queensland Museum by two steamrollers!...
    WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra

I caught up with 'Mephisto' at the AWM on the weekend. Tough to photograph with the subdued lighting but an impressive beast nonetheless!!

.... and ( for a change ) a sympathetic camouflage paint job - well done to whomever orchestrated that.

Dan

PS - to answer the question as to the whereabouts of the conning tower, look at the photo of the open hatch - the blue lighted insides show a caved in roof structure...... not sure how/when that happened?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra   WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra  

WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra   WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra  

WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra   WW1 German tank "Mephisto" now located at the Australian war memorial Canberra  

May have ben damaged in transport at some stage (especially early on)-or it might have rolled in action-not very stable by modern standards!
    'Wings Of The Great War' make a premade/painted model of Mephisto Wings of the Great War WW10204 German Sturmpanzerwagen A7V Infantry Support Tank - "Mephisto", Villers-Bretonneux, July 1918 (1:72 Scale)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast