Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stalin tanks

Article about: Hi Guys, I discovered these period photos online and I was impressed by them and thought that were well worth sharing here. Cheers, Ade.

Default Stalin tanks

Hi Guys, I discovered these period photos online and I was impressed by them and thought that were well worth sharing here.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalin tanks   Stalin tanks  

Stalin tanks   Stalin tanks  

Stalin tanks  

Default Re: Stalin tanks

No wonder the British were worried at the appearance of these tanks in the Berlin Victory parade in 1945. US General Patton was heard to remark that at least the US was on their side!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalin tanks   Stalin tanks  

Stalin tanks  

nice and impressive pics Ade ! which model ? ( last pics in the first post )of tank

Hi Peirre, they are all IS-3's expect for the very first photo (top left) in post number one, which shows an IS -2.

It is easy to tell the difference between the two versions. The earlier IS-2 had a sloped front glasis plate and and more square looking turret. The IS-3 has a glasis plate which slopes in two directions, left to right, and the turret is hemispherical casting and looks more bowl shaped.

The IS-3 did not see service against the Germans, arriving too late. Some of the pics date from 1946.

Cheers, Ade.

Some more info about the IS-2 & IS-3 can be found here:

Photos - JS-1 and JS-2 - THE RUSSIAN BATTLEFIELD

deffinitly would not want to be in a Panzer IV when an IS-2 is around :-)

GonzalesK
    ?

that IS impressive!
    i wouldn't wanna see those tanks in action O_O

Mean machines. The crews look quite happy though.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Those IS-2's are such overkill, typical of Soviet weaponry. I can just imagine one of those beasts cruising down the streets of Berlin with panzerfaust charges, panzerschreck rockets, 88mm shells and all sorts of other explosives bouncing off of it like a piece of rubber. Before then, tanking was a lot more of a challenge.

?

read about the use of IS-2 tanks and fighting with gun d25t. armor-piercing projectile from a distance of 1500m. frontal armor of a tiger broke, broke with the breech of the gun, ricocheted into the stern of a tiger at the same time completely destroyed the engine and the rear armor plate flew on