Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help With A Cannon Bomb Shell

Article about: Hi! Can someone help me with this cannon bomb shell,please? I have this one claimed that was from WW2 and came with a veteran who fought in Italy. But it is marked like 1909. Can a cannon bo

Default Help With A Cannon Bomb Shell

Hi! Can someone help me with this cannon bomb shell,please? I have this one claimed that was from WW2 and came with a veteran who fought in Italy. But it is marked like 1909. Can a cannon bomb made in 1909 be used in WW2 and why?

It has 75mm diameter, 210mm height and 90mm base diameter. It stamped " 1909 42II B "

Thanks and regards

?

I may have a match for cannon it was fired from, however 210mm doesn’t match anything. Can you see if the shell has been cut down or something?

Also a clear picture of the base would help a ton!

MAP
    ?

Possibly for a German 7.7cm M96 Field Cannon?

7,7cm leichte Feld Kanone (l.F.K.) 96 n/A Cartridge Casing

Or maybe the Italian Cannone da 75/27 modello 06 (I could not find a shell casing to compare to)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I’d say no given the fuze on the bottom

It’s definitely Italian

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I’d say no given the fuze on the bottom

It’s definitely Italian
    I already edited my post above...

Could be a Cannone da 75/27 modello 06

Cannone da 75/27 modello 06 Towed Field Gun - Italy

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thats cheating MAP

Only thing bothering me about that MAP is this base of a ww2 shell. Completely different fuse. Could of easily of been updated and the OPs one is just the ww1 variant. But i am gonna keep looking

Sorry,I can't provide better pics cause it taken from my notebook. But it doesn't looks like be cut down. You can see in second photo, in your right the stamp "42IIA" Thanks for your attention,replys and sorry for the photos!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help With A Cannon Bomb Shell  

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Thats cheating MAP

Only thing bothering me about that MAP is this base of a ww2 shell. Completely different fuse. Could of easily of been updated and the OPs one is just the ww1 variant. But i am gonna keep looking
    LoL...no cheating as I edited it prior or at the same time...you were just looking at the old version

I don't know shells / ordinance. Will leave the ID to others. I was just trying to find a 7.5cm artillery piece introduced prior to 1909. These were the two that I found. Italy makes sense as this shell is stated to have come from there.

I do wonder whether the 1909 is a date. Maybe the 42 is the date (although I do believe that the 1909 is date). Just throwing that out there.

BlackMagician: One thing to note....never rely on "stories", even from relatives. We have seen again and again, that over the years, memories get fuzzy and the stories get mixed up. Just this week we had two awards from the grandfather who was actually in the Hitler Youth. Turns out one was a fantasy piece (never existed) and the other was a cast fake.