Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Mk 6 cromwell restoration

Article about: Awesome thread! Thanks for saving this old warhorse.

Default Re: Mk 6 cromwell restoration

Awesome thread! Thanks for saving this old warhorse.

thanks for all the support and kind words guys, i appreciate them but to be honest the cromwell is a fairly easy restoration as it was in incredibly good shape when i got it but that was reflected in the price i paid for it
    now the churchill i got for scrap value and is in a whole other league of pain and hardship.
    when this old warhorse is up and running i really will have something to be proud of.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

the engine is now olive drab and is ready for fitting
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

?

I woild like to see the tank running!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I woild like to see the tank running!
    I am DYING to see it running!!

?

It will be a beast to admire, cant wait

i'm working on it today so i'll get some pics up later, i'd like to think that it will be running in a week or 2 but it's only when you come towards the end that all the small details that need to be done come to light so it might be a month or more, i'd love to take it to the war and peace show for it's first outing.
    if the gods of restoration are with us then it might happen, time will tell.

all the best

eddy

It looks very nice. I have always had a soft spot for the Cromwell tanks.
    Is it possible that you could post a video with the finished result?

In my opinion the Cromwell looks "meaner" than for instance the Sherman.
    The Sherman with its rounded shapes and tiny barrel looks almost "toy" like compared to tanks like the Cromwell and the Churchill.

hi fellas
    a few pics from today, the first pic shows the engine compartment looking from the rear to the front. the 4th shows it from the front to the rear, the black brake drums are normal drum and shoe brakes and act on the final drives to slow the vehicle. there are another 2 identical drums on the gearbox each controlled independently from each other by the steering tillers which act on the differential slowing one side down and speeding the other up thus enabling the turn although the amount of turn depends on which gear is selected, a high gear gives a large radius turn and a low gear gives a tight turn. nice in theory but if you hit a corner in too high a gear you won't be able to go round it
    the 2nd and 3rd pics show the hull gunner and drivers positions, you can see the large gear stick in the centre and the steering tillers to the sides infront of these you can see the pedals in the normal layout of clutch, brake and accelerator. one interesting thing of note is that when the clutch pedal is depressed it also operates a little piston on the gunners side of the bulkhead that gives a squirt of lube oil thru small pipes to the suspension arms, a good idea that i've not seen before. (you learn something new everyday which isn't hard when you know as little as i do.)

all the best

eddy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 6 cromwell restoration   Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

Mk 6 cromwell restoration   Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

It's looking great Rick! I admire guys like you and your mates doing things like this out of your own pocket for ALL to enjoy!

It's been great following this project towards fruition.....nearly there now,....Bloody marvellous mate, I salute you!!

Now, what's next......?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast