Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Mk 6 cromwell restoration

Article about: Awesome thread! Thanks for saving this old warhorse.

Default Re: Mk 6 cromwell restoration

a yellow handbag of herfy will be waiting for you on your return

couple more pics of the engine compartment
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 6 cromwell restoration   Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

I am doing my ultra best to build this magnificent machine, every week day I put 99.9% into it as long as the butty bar is outside... I tell myself it will not get the better of me..But I'll tell you what! My age tells me I am kidding myself...Have you ever wished you had a young lad who could hand you spanners and sockets et all while you are in bone crunching situations? (As long as he knows what sizes they are) Errrrm well it doesn't happen....I am pushing 62 ....if someone wrapped a sling around my legs and lowered me down feet first I'd probably not be here now cuz of blood pressure. I have never built a tank on my own till now especially a Cromwell. its hard work....

By the way I (Mainly Engine wise) built the Mk 1 Matilda in Bov Tank Museum, it took me 6 years of my life to complete ...Aint it amazing how other ppl scoop all the high profile image when ppl like me lie low and say nowt till it matters. Somehow other ppl drain glory at the time which gives the prestige.....Grrrrr

Giz a job, i can hand you the spanners.

?

Its a real shame that you are 4hrs driving from me as i would willingly offer what little help i could, i'm 57 but i do know spanners and dont mind getting dirty and in the thick of it, plus your doing something that hundreds of people would like to do given the chance, i envy and respect the fact that you are bringing a piece of history back to life and wish you good fortune in your endeavours

keep up the good work pete, i don't envy you working out in the cold under bob's tent. why not tell him on monday to get his crappy little army trucks out of the workshop and bring the cromwell inside in the warm and dry ! but don't pin your hopes on anything happening as i said the same thing to him on saturday and got no where
    all joking aside i will come and give you a lift over the xmas holiday, i'm sure between the 2 of us we can really get to grips with it.

all the best

rick

Rick, I intend to have the gearbox in next week, I have been itching to get it in for months. I'll take some photos of it going in and post on here. Pete

Quote by AshtonPete View Post
    I am doing my ultra best to build this magnificent machine, every week day I put 99.9% into it. By the way I (Mainly Engine wise) built the Mk 1 Matilda in Bov Tank Museum, it took me 6 years of my life to complete ...Aint it amazing how other ppl scoop all the high profile image when ppl like me lie low and say nowt till it matters. Somehow other ppl drain glory at the time which gives the prestige.....Grrrrr
    Been reading this great thread but had to respond to your spleen venting Pete ( as I have been in a similar position re. vintage car repair ) all one can do is know that self-satisfaction of a job well done even if one doesn't get the written credit one deserves! I used to hate seeing a magazine article with no mention of me then I thought, "stuff it, I know what I contributed and that's all that matters"
    Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

i look forward to the seeing gearbox going back in pete, the other fella's on the forum probably don't know that you can't run the engine without the gearbox fitted as the weight of the clutch on the end of the crankshaft would tear the engine apart which is why it needs to be supported by the gearbox input shaft. seeing the gearbox fitted and the rest of the engine compartment finished would be great but what i really want to see is the engine running and once the box goes in that shouldn't be too far away

happy days

rick

Yo Rick, you ever have a dabble at that World of Tanks I have a crack at it most evenings...if you buy enough credits (Gold) you can purchase a Cromwell.
    I am still a novice and getting blown to bits in my crappy leichtstractor or T1 Cunningham.
    Very slow server download though, I left it all night and still not complete next day, but worth the wait.

Progress report on your Cromwell gearbox....a gear link bush in 4th and 5th (Lower) actuating arm has to be machined on the lathe and sweated in.
    You can see it had been missing here....all new pins going in after.

(Upper) links unseized and greased...getting gears should now be a breeze.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast