Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

My Jeep and it's history

Article about: Hi Jay, thanks! The Bridge Too Far quote was very apt! I thought it might be worth showing some more of the documentation I have which I mentioned in the text of my original post. Here is th

Default Re: My Jeep and it's history

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    In November 1951 the Jeep was overhauled by the Ministry of Supply, at Army Auxiliary Workshop B269. This workshop would have been a large civilian garage. (I would be very interested to discover the location of this workshop, as many surviving Jeeps appear to have been overhauled there.)
    I am really pleased to say I have just discovered the location of this Army Auxiliary Workshop: B269 was "Henlys" of Weston Super Mare in Somerset. Henlys were a large car dealership who sold Jag's pre war.

Hopefully I will have some more exciting (for me anyway) new info coming my way in the next few weeks. Some previously though lost records might have survived. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

More good detective work, Ade.......... !
    Regards,

Steve.

I've googled Henlys with the hope of getting the old address in order to use google street view to find out what is there now but no luck.

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. I will keep you updated.

Hi Glenn, I did the same too!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Henley's was indeed based at Weston-Super-mare.
    They serviced all types of Wartime vehicles Diamond T, GMC, Jeeps etc.
    The sea being close was handy for testing Amphibious vehicles.
    This will make the heart sink - Lend Lease rules applied - a Surplus vehicle had to be returned to its point of origin in A1 condition.
    The Americans did not want the vehicles returned so it was common place for the A1 refits to be driven out of Henley's to a Scrap Yard near the Gas works in W-S-M.
    The Scrap Yard is still in business today as is the ordinance service area - converted to small civilian workshops many years ago.
    Henley's used many Jeeps as runabouts - at the end of the Military contract they were also sent for Scrapping at the same Scrap Yard.
    Henley's refurbishment programme was so vast it was based at W-S-M Aerodrome.
    where the Bristol Beaufighter was built and serviced .
    The Aerodrome is still there today - just!
    Planning permission has been granted for housing (2012) so if you wanted to visit the site be quick.
    The Aerodrome - RAF Locking - in the past was home to Westland Helicopters - hence the location of the Helicopter Museum, RAF Locking is now housing.

All the best,
    Tim K.

?

Excellent post on your vehicles history. Thanks for taking the time.
    Having the spare tire on the front (of the vehicle), does that have adverse impact on the engine in the summertime in regards to overheating?
    The smile on your face in the second pic down really says it all - who doesnt like a classic Jeep!

Hi Tim, thanks for the great info. I will call a mate of mine tonight to pass this along, as his Jeep was also overhauled at Henly's. His Jeep, although not Airborne modified was close to mine in the rebulid programme: mine was M1501181, while his was M1501881.

Hi Scout, the spare wheel in front of the rad does effect cooling. In the way the Airborne Forces used the Jeeps, it's effect would have been negligible due to the relatively short distances and speeds a vehicle might travel. But I have found driving on a hot summer's day, pulling an airborne trailer full of kit over a long distance, it is best to throw the spare wheel in the back.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Interesting info about the short distances, that Airborne Forces intended to drive their Jeeps. I would have imagined, that that would have been hard to count on in 'fluid' warfare.
    Yes, I was thinking about the treks through France, that you have driven.
    Spare tire or not, it must have been a great experience. And to do it every year for more than a decade to boot - thats dedicated.

I have certainly done some miles in the Jeep: our annual trip to Arnhem used to put 190 miles on the clock simply to get to the port at Harwich. Then a good couple of hours drive to get to Arnhem. By the time the week was done it was getting towards a 1000 mile round trip. But it was our annual holiday. Happy days.....

I have actually driven to Weston Super Mare in the Jeep. There used to be a military vehicle rally held there on the sea front. Must have been around 1990. So without knowing it, I had driven the Jeep to where it had once been in it's service life.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Sounds like fantastic trips. Not envious at all.....

All those miles in a WWII Jeep - hope you wore a kidney belt!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast