Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Churchill?

Article about: Found this page about a abandoned tank on a village green in the south of England,i think it's a type of churchill,it's been there since the war and was used for PIAT practice. There is some

sturmhunter
    ?

Default Old Churchill?

Found this page about a abandoned tank on a village green in the south of England,i think it's a type of churchill,it's been there since the war and was used for PIAT practice.
    There is some women and her dogs posing on it which make it abit random,but still....

THIS IS FINDON - The Last Tank

Default Re: Old Churchill?

Nice photo's and story. It looks like quite a walk to get to it. By the way, does it have a certificate as being deactivated?

916matt
    ?

This churchill is on the old kithurst range near worthing it was dug up by the TA reme in the early 90's and left to rust in a field.

sturmhunter
    ?

here is a link to the pictures and story about the recovery of this churchill in the 90's,theres afew nice photos of them rolling it over after 30 odd years belly up.

THIS IS FINDON VILLAGE - More on the tank on our Downland.

shame its just been left like that, theres an old fighter plane at an old WW2 airfield called Errol near where I live, its a shame things like this are left when they could be used to make amazing monuments or memorials.
    Thanks

Danny

hi gasmasksuk,

any chance you got a picture of that??

regards mad ideas

Sadly dont have any photo's, but I'm sure theres some on the internet somewhere, theres a group on wikipedia which deals with former military land, if anything they would have a photo.
    Thanks

Danny

Hi Guys,

I think the aircraft Danny is refering to at Errol is Fairey Gannet T.5 XG882. It was built in 1956 for the Fleet Air Arm to serve in the ASW/AEW role. It was retired eventually in the 1980's and was moved to Errol sometime afterwards by a private collector.

Since then the airframe has become derelict, with many parts now missing. Here is a pic took in 2004, i bet it's a lot worse than that now, isn't it Danny?

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old Churchill?  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sadly it is a lot worse now, its a pity too. I heard some parts of it had been removed for restoring another one. I wonder why the collector would have moved it to there though?
    Thanks

Danny

Hi like this one must make the time to go and look at it.
    Its a long way though.
    I have included a pick of a churchill tank makers plate i have had for years.
    cant be too many of these around.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old Churchill?  
    Last edited by dogdog47; 01-05-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add picks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.