Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight

Article about: I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the restoration section, but seeing as how I'm not looking for any advice on the subject I thought here would be a better place. This all went o

Default Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the restoration section, but seeing as how I'm not looking for any advice on the subject I thought here would be a better place.
    This all went on a few minutes walk from where I live at the only Military Museum on the Isle of Wight. You may have seen these vids before but if you haven't.. here are the links

Part One - YouTube - I.O.W. tank overhaul Part 1

Part Two - YouTube - I.O.W. tank overhaul Part 2

Part Three - YouTube - I.O.W. tank overhaul Part 3

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Isle of Wighter; 08-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Default Re: Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight

Hi Jim, I have watched this episode on TV several times. I would love to have an update on the progress now. What I like about that museum is they are really doing the restoration on a budget and are simply not throwing money at it. Good luck to them.

Cheers, Ade.

Reg
    ?

I remember that programme, Ive seen "cut and shut" cars, but never a tank lol

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jim, I have watched this episode on TV several times. I would love to have an update on the progress now. What I like about that museum is they are really doing the restoration on a budget and are simply not throwing money at it. Good luck to them.

Cheers, Ade.
    I'm going up there again next Wednesday Ade, they do displays mid-week so I'll have a look and see what I can find out. I will post some photo's next week

i have never seen this before and it was great ! thoses guys are doing a hell of a job !! bravo ! wished they show the tank when it is finished !!
    best roger

Thanks Jim, that would be great.

Cheers, Ade.

hi fella's

i got the chance to go to the iow museum a few weeks back and meet some of the guys. i don't know why it is but some people in the military vehicle world can be a little secretive and basically unhelpful but not those guys, they took the time to show me round and explain a few things to me which i really appreciated especially when you consider they were trying to make a living aswell and talking to me meant they weren't on the tools. i have to admit i was a little jealous of the set up they had down there, one day i'd like something like that and as for tanks the vehicle park out the back was amazing they had 6 or 7 churchills in various states of repair and a handful of comets as well as more modern stuff. all in all a great place to visit and well worth the time.
    the link below gives you an idea of just what's down there.

eddy

YouTube - Tank hulks

Thanks Jim, that would be great.

Cheers, Ade.
    I have just got back in from the museum and here, as promised, are some photo's of the Sherman hot off my camera. It is finished and they have done a nice job.I didn't get a chance to speak to Dave Arnold or any of the other guy's, they were all too busy thrashing tanks and armoured vehicles around a very dusty display area at top speed!.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight   Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight  

Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight   Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight  

Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight   Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight  

Many thanks Jim! You would never know it was the same one.

Cheers, Ade.

Many thanks Jim! You would never know it was the same one.

Cheers, Ade.
    I know. Good job isn't it. I was trying to find the lines where the welding was done to make sure it was the right one! You could only just make them out under the paint.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast