Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight

Article about: I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the restoration section, but seeing as how I'm not looking for any advice on the subject I thought here would be a better place. This all went o

Default Re: Sherman restoration on the Isle of Wight

this is my mk1 carrier that i've been restoring for a couple of months.

last week

when i started it looked like this

an early production churchill with applique armour on feldom

eddy

Hi Eddy, thanks for the pics. It is coming on already. Well done and keep up the good work.

Cheers, Ade.

yeah thats a great show, they put it on the military channel here, today they were doing the German elephant tank killer. the guy your talking about on the Isle of Wight & some guy in California have the 2 biggest private tank collections in the world, I think it's great they help each other out, with info, parts etc. what I don't like is the military channel might show 2 episodes & then never finish, like when they were restoring a panzer they pulled out of a river in Poland. I like that little track vehicle that you are restoring, that would be fun to drive around in town, bet nobody gets in your way. nice job. oh my mistake, the elephant was being restored by the U.S. army, but they only gave them 5 weeks to do it. I think they were going to put it at the patton museum at fort knox, haven't been there in awhile, would love to go again someday.

thanks for the support guys, i will have the carrier running before november and do the show circuit next year, when it's done i'll start a restoration thread on it.

all the best

eddy

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Many thanks Jim! You would never know it was the same one.

Cheers, Ade.
    That's because it isn't! The Sherman in the pictures is an M4A1(76) that belongs to Bovington. The Grizzlies that featured in Tank Overhaul have been sold.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    I know. Good job isn't it. I was trying to find the lines where the welding was done to make sure it was the right one! You could only just make them out under the paint.
    Hmmm.

now you mention it adrian it's obvious it's not a grizzly, should have spotted that one myself but you know me, too busy looking at the churchills

eddy

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    yeah thats a great show, they put it on the military channel here, today they were doing the German elephant tank killer. the guy your talking about on the Isle of Wight & some guy in California have the 2 biggest private tank collections in the world, I think it's great they help each other out, with info, parts etc. what I don't like is the military channel might show 2 episodes & then never finish, like when they were restoring a panzer they pulled out of a river in Poland. I like that little track vehicle that you are restoring, that would be fun to drive around in town, bet nobody gets in your way. nice job. oh my mistake, the elephant was being restored by the U.S. army, but they only gave them 5 weeks to do it. I think they were going to put it at the patton museum at fort knox, haven't been there in awhile, would love to go again someday.
    Your getting your collectors and dealers mixed up. The late Jack Littlefield Collection (U.S.A.) has a Panther and Kevin Wheatcroft in Leicester has a Panther, and before jack died, would swap notes on Panther rebuild, these two have very large vehicle collections . Dave Arnold and I.O.W. have the Shermans and Chrchills. Dave Arnold is restoring Churchills for a chap who works in London who wants a troop of Churchills. Dave Arnold also has a couple of Bovington vehicles which were supposed to be restored, (A30 Challenger) but not a lot happening on that front.

I went for a T-54 ride here, I live on the island so its great to have a Sherman to go and look at near by.

edwinr
    ?

Hi

I am keen to watch all three episodes of the Sherman restoration program. You only seem to be able to see part of the programs on You Tube, any advice?

Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast