Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Forces license plates.

Article about: Does anyone else collect license plates used by servicemen on their POVs? I was an army brat in Germany, so I collect US Forces Overseas license plates. With ebay they are getting much easie

Default US Forces license plates.

Does anyone else collect license plates used by servicemen on their POVs? I was an army brat in Germany, so I collect US Forces Overseas license plates. With ebay they are getting much easier to source.

These ones are from the 1960s - 1990s period and are part of my small Cold War collection.

Up until 1965 the letter would denote where the car was registered, hence the H on the red plate (1962 - 1965) shows it came from a serviceman based in Heidelberg.

?

Default Re: US Forces license plates.

Those are neat.
    SteveR

Default Re: US Forces license plates.

I agree very cool !!!

Eric

?

Yes, I collect military plates. I'll help if I can!

I never thought to take one of mine when I left. I wish I'd had now lol

One thing I never cared for was that when I was stationed in Germany with the Army our POV plates had USA on them and the Politzie in like our police here in the US do not need probable cause to stop you, thus several times when I was driving in the evening or night I was stopped and given the old breath test etc. I was smart enough to know not to drink and drive as if I recall a DWI in Germany is something like .05 BAC, still as a senior NCO I had to several time go to the MP station to pick up soldiers who had been arrested by the German Police and turned over to the MPs, these soldiers were of course in trouble because of this! Also have known several NCOs and Officers who were arrested and this was pretty much a career ender, not that I am blaming the German Police as they are just doing their job.

Here is a link to my thread on 1961 US plates.
    US Forces in Germany license plates.

?

Thumbs up

I have several around here somewhere.
    I used to get them from GIs who had come back top the states and throw them away when they got state side plates.
    I also have some that I picked up in Europe. They would show up at the flea markets.
    Sarge