Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Willy's Jeep found in NY field.

Article about: It is a Willys CJ3A. Still worth buying if you like Jeeps. But it will never be worth the same kind of price as an wartime Willys MB or Ford GPW Jeep. Cheers, Ade.

Exclamation Willy's Jeep found in NY field.

Hello all!

This jeep has been in a field at the end of my road for AT LEAST 25years. It is sitting in a fenced in field/ pasture that has at least two horses.

I have passed it literally every day of my life as I walked to the bus stop for school/ drove to conduct my every day activities as a young adult. It has literally been sitting there since I was a baby. It has been there so long that it has kind of become a fixture in my life and I forgot about it until I registered here and started becoming active on this message board.

SO! What what do we have here? Considering that it has been rotting in a field for AT LEAST 25 years, I am hoping I might be able to get it for cheap and I'm seriously thinking about acquiring it and making it my first major project.

Unfortunately, I had to conduct a little spy mission... I had to hop a fence to take these pictures. I do not know how easily I can obtain additional pictures until I get permission from the owner.

SO! What do you gentlemen think?

It is kind of overgrown. The grass is short around it only in places where the animals can reach grass to munch on. It's got a plow on the front that I couldn't fit into the picture...

Iconic logo.

The window was slightly open and I was able to squeeze my cellphone in to take this picture. The inside is in rough shape... tons of creepy crawlies call this jeep home. Check out the wasps' nests!

Is this a WW2 Willy's? Is it something worth restoring? How difficult would it be to restore? What is something like this worth?

THANKS FOR LOOKING!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 08-19-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Default Re: Willy's Jeep found in NY field.

Don't know much about it...to me it looks commercial?
    But, even if it is swamped, you could clean the outside, put your company logo on it, and display it outside your company. Kinda a cool advertisement? I've seen people do that before near my town.

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Don't know much about it...to me it looks commercial?
    But, even if it is swamped, you could clean the outside, put your company logo on it, and display it outside your company. Kinda a cool advertisement? I've seen people do that before near my town.
    It's got a plow attached to the front. I'll try to get a pic of it ASAP.

I was hoping it was maybe a surplus jeep from the war that someone got on-the-cheap after hostilities ended and then went to town modifying it for use as a work truck/ snow plow.

Looks to be highly modified with lots of extra sheet metal, to fend off those Upstate winters.

You'd have your hands full with this one. Restoring an old car with all the correct part is hard enough, doing so to one that has been modified as such would be down right knuckle breaking and probably cost more than you could pick up a decent restored one, in my opinon of course. On the plus side, these things are still pretty easy to find parts for here in the states.

Good Luck!

Russ

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Looks to be highly modified with lots of extra sheet metal, to fend off those Upstate winters.

You'd have your hands full with this one. Restoring an old car with all the correct part is hard enough, doing so to one that has been modified as such would be down right knuckle breaking and probably cost more than you could pick up a decent restored one, in my opinon of course. On the plus side, these things are still pretty easy to find parts for here in the states.

Good Luck!

Russ
    Do you think the modifications are factory made that just bolt right on, or are the parts that the owner fabricated himself?

Looks pretty barn your modified to me...probably served someone well once upon a time.

The bonnet has Willys stamped on it , therefor post WWII and so is the windscreen, looks more like a CJ2a than WWII. John.

I was able to get in contact with the owner. He said it is a 1951 Willys bought new... so it saw no military service.

Did he say if it came with all the fancy sheet metal work or was that his handy work?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Did he say if it came with all the fancy sheet metal work or was that his handy work?
    He said he didn't know. All he knew is that his aunt's family owned a feed store and they used/ abused it at the family feed business.

I asked if he had any plans for the jeep... the conversation somehow drifted to him knowing my father (he was very excited to learn that... "Oh, you're Peppy's son!")... so we'll see where this goes. Maybe I'll get a jeep to restore out of this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast