Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Chinese sword

Article about: Help ! Are there any Chinese sword experts on the forum ???? The following sword was picked up in a grouping, and is possibly a bring back from the Boxer rebelion. It is a full on fighting s

?

Default Chinese sword

Help !

Are there any Chinese sword experts on the forum ????

The following sword was picked up in a grouping, and is possibly a bring back from the Boxer rebelion.

It is a full on fighting sword .. quality steel etc.

ANY guidance or help would be most appreciated !

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chinese sword   Chinese sword  

Chinese sword   Chinese sword  

Chinese sword   Chinese sword  

Frustratingly, there are few, if any, "standard" swords from the Boxer era. They seem to be, basically, whatever they could make or get their hands on. The Form of this sword looks proper, in my view, but it shows little or no aging and use that I am seeing. The guard is very Thin, compared to most others seen-in fact, it is the thinnest that I've yet seen. If this means it is bad, unfortunately, I have no clue. I would definitely expect to see marks, bumps,scratches, etc on the grip, though, and I'm not seeing any. I am also abit puzzled as to why 115 year old brass should shine like gold, unless, naturally, it's been polished and sealed? (which it shouldn't be). From the photos, I am tending to lean towards the opinion that it is an Indian hand forged replica, but in hand, it could well be different, naturally. But, for right now, that is how I would be thinking.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

William,
    Thanks for the in put ...

The sword had two nicks in the back edge, where clearly another blade has stuck the sword when in a defensive manor.

As always ... difficult to asses when not in your hand, ... but the blade has some age, and is most definitely a quality steel ......

Also agreed, that it is difficult to put an age to it ... hence I was hoping that there might be a full blown Chinese weapons expert amongst our minions ....

I concur with your remarks though .... is it or isn't it ????

Thanks for looking ..

Gary

PS the polishing is down to my friend who owns the sword .... he just couldn't leave the brass alone !!!!