Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

What’s your favorite tank

Article about: Hello everyone, what’s your favorite tank, spg or Tankette. My favorite is the tks Tankette from ww2

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Yup
    Anyone interested in tanks must have "The Cent(urion)" somewhere in their favourites list. Very successful and prolific marque (not just because thousands were made and virtually given away like the T55)
    it served many nations in many roles and conflicts, too many to list here (the AVRE version even made a cameo appearance clearing IRA barricades in Northern Ireland )

12 (AVRE) served in Op Granby (Gulf War1) and some variants continued well into the 21st Century (S. African Oliphant).

Yes there were engine upgrades, electronic ignition and ERA modifications along the way but it was still the same "Centurion" platform.

Everything is relative to the period of course and new technology overtakes the old but this one was serious "value for money"

Our Australian members will likely have heard of "The Atom Tank" Quality!!

What’s your favorite tank

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

To add on to what watchdog said you also have to remember the Chieftain was a development of the Centurion, Then the challenger was basically the failed Iranian export spin off of the chieftain!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    To add on to what watchdog said you also have to remember the Chieftain was a development of the Centurion, Then the challenger was basically the failed Iranian export spin off of the chieftain!
    Which is the way to use such a good design - Evolution!

The story started when WWII was still in full swing and the first Cent arrived in theatre just weeks after the surrender.
    Also, don't forget the brilliant Rolls Royce Meteor engine, born of the Merlin of Spitfire/Hurricane/Lancaster/Mosquito/Mustang Mk X etc the first of which utilised some parts recovered from crashed aircraft! Now that is real engineering flair

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the Centurion AVRE's used in the Gulf war was overtaken by several Abrams moving forward, but their very soft suspension proved to be their undoing... and much to the annoyance of the American tank crews the AVRE overtook them further on.

Me at 10.
    Attached Images Attached Images What’s your favorite tank 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Got to follow suit with a few other members and agree on the StuG, a fantastic bit of kit and the backbone of armoured support in many campaigns. I do have a soft spot for the Hetzer, a remarkable personification of what Blitzkrieg and its principles were, as well as the Firefly and Panther.

Regards
    Harvey

?

My is an M-84 : )
    I was a 7 years a driver and 2 a commander.

?

With the training equipment in ambush.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What’s your favorite tank  

?

A tough question, my favorite tank is the German Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV). The Panzerkampfwagen IV developed by Rheinmetall, MAN and Krupp was produced from 1937 until the end of World War II and it was, with 8500 units, the most-produced German tank. The Panzerkampfwagen IV, initially equipped with a short cannon, was originally intended as a support vehicle, but during the course of the war it was equipped with various weapons and manufactured in 10 different versions. A real all-rounder. But I also love the British Mark I, which is considered to be the world's first operational battle tank.

Best regards
    Wolf

What’s your favorite tank I'll stick with the King Tiger

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6