Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1/32 Airfix Crusader III - 1st Model I've made in 30 Years

Article about: Over the last few months Ive been playing with this kit on and off , here and there as time permits. Over my Christmas break , I have almost finished it. I used to be big on model making as

?

Default 1/32 Airfix Crusader III - 1st Model I've made in 30 Years

Over the last few months Ive been playing with this kit on and off , here and there as time permits.
    Over my Christmas break , I have almost finished it. I used to be big on model making as a youngster back in the 70's.
    I have been getting a collection of old large scale plane kits together to get back into it in the future .
    With the weather being too hot and all the bushfires around to go anywhere , so staying close to home , we live in a bushland area surrounded by large trees I decided to get under the house in my Man Cave where it it a cooler temperature and get to work , along with a few beers.

The hardest thing for me was having to wear my bi focal glasses to see properly , I hate using them but they came in handy.
    I have only ever worked with enamels and hand paint everything .

It was really just an exercise in getting the vibe back and was a totally enjoyable experience for me , making do with what I had available to see if i do at least half a reasonable job.

I never bothered with trying to do anything with the rubber tracks.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1369844

Attachment 1369845

Attachment 1369846

Well done, thanks tor showing!

Mart

Very nice. Back in the "70's I made the same Airfix version in 1/72 scale, painted it the same sand colour as well. I still have it somewhere in a box.

Keep yourself safe mate. Those fires are horrific.

?

Quote by Martin C View Post
    Well done, thanks tor showing!

Mart
    Thanks mate ,
    I had a lot of fun , sure it's littered with imperfections etc but I enjoyed every hour of making it.
    You don't realise as you get older the loss of great eyesight and steady hand as when you were young lol
    The best part about getting older is that you have more patience and can stop and walk away and come back later easier .
    But the excitement of having it almost ready still remains the same
    Cheers Rick

MAP
    ?

Love these. Brings me back to my childhood as well. Would love to start again, but don't have the time nor the patience anymore. LoL

Great job!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks good
    I used to build model cars as a kid. 45 years later I decided to try my
    hand a doing a military vehicle, complete with all of the weathering.
    Because of poor eys and shaky hands, it took me the better part of the summer
    to finish but I was happy with the outcome. I plan to try another once I find
    the right kit.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Looks good
    I used to build model cars as a kid. 45 years later I decided to try my
    hand a doing a military vehicle, complete with all of the weathering.
    Because of poor eys and shaky hands, it took me the better part of the summer
    to finish but I was happy with the outcome. I plan to try another once I find
    the right kit.
    Ive already started my next project .
    An Airfix 1/24 scale P-51K Mustang , I originally had plans to convert it to RAAF paint and decal scheme , but Ive been working on it here and there for 6 weeks and finished the engine and pilot and cockpit setup.
    Decided to stick with the RCAF version on the box cover. I like the colours and scheme , although it means a lot more work.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1380385