Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Estonian SS 1st Day

Article about: I am fascinated by peoples ability to craft something like this, its amazing how , from a conception, to actually moulding something can produce such good results, you and our other Member R

Default Re: Estonian SS 1st Day

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Great work!
    Nice details, nice characters and you finisched it so rapidly!
    |<
    Thanks Kris , cheers mate Raymond

Awesome stuff, you've really got the artistic touch there! Makes me want to try something similar.... look forward to seeing the finished bust!

wow, Impressive work.
    Cheers.
    nuno

Hi guys heres a progress report for the guys interested in the next stage.
    Cardboard coated in plastic is pushed into the clay to make a devideing seam so when the sculpture is covered in plaster i can take the 2 halfs apart
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estonian SS 1st Day   Estonian SS 1st Day  

The next step is to cover the hole thing in plaster this will great a complete cast ,for the first coat the plaster must be thrown on with your fingers to get a good coverage and stop any air bubbles from forming , then apply thick coats till its about 3 or 4 inchs thick .

completely cover the piece
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estonian SS 1st Day   Estonian SS 1st Day  

Once its covered leave for a week to really dry out , then comes the dangerous part , you must pry open both halfs very gently , i use wooden wedges and slowly tap them into the seam , evenly some it ciomes apart at the same time , but sometimes theres disaster , like now the mold cracked and broke away around the rim of the helmet , luckly it will clue back together and shouldnt be a problem

Estonian SS 1st Day  

Next you must dig out all the clay , being careful not to hit the mold as it will damage the surface and put defects in the finished product , once its all out it must be washed out to get rid of any other bits of clay stuck to the plaster surface , then left to dry , back in a few days cheers Raymond

Estonian SS 1st Day   Estonian SS 1st Day  

Wow, thats amazing! i had no idea how it was all done. What a shame the clay original has to be destroyed in the process, no wonder you are being careful with the mold. If that breaks too badly and the clay original has to go then you'd have to start all over I guess, that just doesn't bear thinking about!

It seems patience is key, leaving the plaster for a week to dry when you are itching to get on with it must be torture.

So what is the scariest moment? Trying to seperate the halves? I reckon that'd be the pucker moment for me.

Thanks for the photos and keep'em coming!

Cheers
    Glenn

The shocked expression on the shattered face lying in the rubble is priceless! Wow...it takes a special kind of person with a Way special kinda patience to do such work! Hell of a talent! "Yer a better man than I am,Gunga Din!" William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast