Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First model

Article about: I am working on my first model and I am new to this hobby so some help would be welcomed. I got a 1/72 scale model for Christmas of a Tiger II and I am thnking about making it with a "a

Default First model

I am working on my first model and I am new to this hobby so some help would be welcomed. I got a 1/72 scale model for Christmas of a Tiger II and I am thnking about making it with a "ambush" style paint. Unfortunatley I dont have very
    much model paint so I mixed up 3 different colors for the project.

A few questions I had ...
    Is this an ideal size for modeling? (1/72)
    Should I worry about painting the small features such as vents and shovels appropriatley when doing a camo paint?
    With camo what insignia would be on the tank? (number, eblems, etc)

Thanks for the help Ill post pictures as I make progress if its not a complete failure ...

?

Default Re: First model

1/72 scale does'nt really allow you a great deal of scope when painting a model, although experienced model makers can and do terrific paint jobs in that scale, the larger the model the more accurate you can make the camo, its equipment etc because of the detail involved, when painting a tank camo pick one that was a recognised scheme and not one made up, most armoured paint jobs were done in relation to the theatre of operations they were fighting in

Thanks I thought it was just me when I opened it I imagined it to be about 2x the size . I tried to start an ambush camo pattern but Im not that great at painting yet...

Model building is good therapy, untill you get so frustrated you throw it against a wall and start drinking.......which is even better therapy! Happy New Year!!!!!!!

I've built a few model kits over the years - 1/35th scale is
    a good size with plenty of realistic detailing........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I work mainly with 1/35th scale, and build my own dioramas, mainly infantry, ruined houses etc, but i have done that scale in armour, at the moment i am building a 1/16th metal and plastic Tiger, bought in weekly magazines, and its so detailed its taking an age to put together, once finished it will weigh about 5 kilos, all with independant sprung suspension on eack wheel, internal engine detail, internal turret details, the problem i now have is finding a crew for it

1:72 is a good scale to work with if you lack shelf or display space. 1:48 or 1:35 is better for detail particularly with armour

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

1/35 Scale is the way to go with Armour.

Greg

Totally agree with Nick. I have built in all 3 scales and although I prefer 1:35 for the reasons mentioned by Dave, I have had some good results with 1:72.
    Of course, having an airbrush helps with painting the camo, but there's nothing wrong with a brush. Painted that way for yonks before finally buying an airbrush.
    The size of the 1:35 armour makes dioramas pretty large, so for them I prefer the smaller scale.

Tom

The only one painted by airbrush is the Famo, rest all hand painted.

[
    Attached Images Attached Images First model  First model  First model  First model 

Quote by Studly View Post
    1/35 Scale is the way to go with Armour.

Greg
    1/1 would be even more fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast