Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Horsa Glider

Article about: Hi, I thought i would show the Horsa Glida i have been making, It is a 1.72 scale. Very easy to build. dave.

Default Re: Horsa Glider

Hi, thanks for the comment on the model, i have two small WW1 male and female tanks still boxed so they are my next project. ( when i get round to them ) I have been asked to do some art for a while so that's next. It is the flag raising at Iwo Jima, full scale so i will have to research it, ie colours format background ect.
    Will put it on when its done.
    dave.

Nice job Dave, I've one on the to do list, Ive always wanted to do a Market Garden diorama.

Francie.

?

This model of the Horsa came out quite a few yrs ago and im not sure that they do it any more. Ihad one many yrs ago when i was a lot younger and more patient .I also had the Airfix Dakota that i made with it and used it as the tug complete with towing cable curled as seen in original photos , it was a large diorama but i had a lot more room then and before i had 4 children . I beleive the two figures were paratrooper and glider pilot and i had mine standing at the side of the Horsa. If memory serves correct thgere was a model company who did the version in wood but without any crew but as i recall wasnt cheap even then as the design was very similar to that of the actual glider and was quite complicated for the amatuer modeller.

?

At this moment in time i am in the process of making a 1 35th scale Lancaster bomber all from wood which is supplied in weekly installments . Its a real challenge as its very fiddly . But seeing my kids are all now young adults im not bothered by little fingers any more except that of the wifes but she wont let me hang it from the bedroom ceiling when its finished, i cant understand it.

Hi Dave,
    that is going to be a model and a half, they are the ones in the mag
    arnt they. It looked really good when i looked at it but didnt go for it, Is it quite big on the finished item. The other i looked at was the Von Richtofen ( cant spell it ) Red Barron plane that was a size to. But it went on for ever over a hundred pieces to collect, and i think the cost was something like £250.00 at the end of it.
    you will have to show how far you are in the model and we can see it grow.
    dave.

?

Yeah, thats the one in the mag, wingspan about 3 1/2 feet ,total cost over the entire series about £650, but the whole thing will be a collectors item in yrs to come ,you even have to fit the thin aluminum skin over the wooden frame but you can leave some off to view inside, fitting the cockpit instuments was fiddly each one is a seperate lever that should be in differant positions,then theres the painting of the dials, i could go on but im depresssing myself thinking about all the work involved, just hope i live long enough.

great model.
    Nicely painted. Did you use regular modelpaint or did u airbrush it?

cheers,

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    This model of the Horsa came out quite a few yrs ago and im not sure that they do it any more. modeller.
    The Airfix Horsa kit is still available in 1/72, priced at around the £13 mark. (Modelzone in Kingston, West London had a few in stock when I was in there a couple of weeks ago)

Hi Ian,
    You said you was going over there was it good, sounds a good shop to visit. When i lived in london Kingston was in surrey,
    now it,s west london, show,s how they have expanded the place.
    It,s all changed since i was living home, i am going to look inthat shop when i go up it may have a few bits t bring back.
    More projects, lol.
    dave.

?

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi Ian,
    You said you was going over there was it good, sounds a good shop to visit. When i lived in london Kingston was in surrey,
    now it,s west london, show,s how they have expanded the place.
    It,s all changed since i was living home, i am going to look inthat shop when i go up it may have a few bits t bring back.
    More projects, lol.
    dave.
    Hi Dave.

All the "ModelZone" shops that I have been in have been worth the visit.
    They remind me a lot of the "Beatties" style shop from the 70's/80's/90's. In that they are not a dedicated model shop as such, but tend to stock a wide range of modelling related items, kits, etc.

BTW. Kingston is still in Surrey, it just comes under the "Greater London" area these days!

Regards etc

Ian

AKA: Jimpy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast