Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to make model flag

Article about: Would be good to see photos of your progress!

Default How to make model flag

G'day all, does anyone know how to make a realistic looking vehicle identification flag for a scale model German tank? I've seen pics of models with them and they really look good draped across the the rear of a model tank. I'd really like to know how to get the realistic looking folds and draped look. Thanks fellas, Dave.

?

Default Re: How to make model flag

I painted one years ago on a piece of thin linen and as long as you drape it before the paint dries it will form the shape of the part its laying on..actually ive still got it around here somewhere it just over 4 inches long

Cheers mate.

?

Yes, thin linen is a good option. Alternatively, use an old piece of paper (maybe a blank sheet from the back of an old book), and after painting it, give it a slight wash with a wattered-down bronze ink, this will make it look old and weathered.

Regards,

Carl

?

I found that using baking foil can reproduce the folds of cloth that look natural in relation to size , you form the shape then paint or you can gently mark the foil with a thin nib pen and once in position paint the details in

Thanks boys, I'll give both suggestions a try.

?

Be sure to show your results too, always interesting.

Regards,

Carl

I've used the thin linen method in the past and it works well. Remember to place the flag in the area you want it before the paint dries so the flag drapes correctly, otherwise you just get a stiff square board ! Once in position, I seem to recal pressing mine into the details, gently, with a pair of needle point tweezers.

Steve T

?

Another string to your bow Steve, a flagologist in miniature, you never cease to amaze me

Thanks fellas, I really think they finish off a model tank well, Ive seen flags and tarps etc.. Done on models that really look effective. I've got the kit, I've looked at photos of tanks and docos over the past few weeks to get ideas on weathering and damage etc. and now it's time to make a start!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast