MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How to make model flag

Article about: Would be good to see photos of your progress!

Default Re: How to make model flag

Would be good to see photos of your progress!

No worries Glenn, I'm no expert model maker and it will probably take me months but I'll post pics on this thread during the build. Cheers mate.

remember to take your time if you rush it won't look as good

Dave! How did you end up going with this? I've a couple of photos of a Panzer I recently painted.. I made a flag for it, too!

Josh

I'd be interested too, I must get back into models

G'day boys, I haven't finished the model yet but it is pretty close. I'm off on a fishing trip in 2 weeks but it should be finished very shortly after that when I have a bit of free time. I have taken the advice of Francesco with the fantastic model of the panzer that he built and painted it using his method. I'm on my wifes iPad at the moment but I'll post some pics of the progress so far when I get on to the other computer tomorrow. Thanks for the interest fellas, I am quite happy with it so far but I am looking forward to having it finished.

Try this method if you like Dave, it works really well.

Do an online search for the flag you want and choose a flat depiction. Download it and drop it in your word programme as you would clipart. Resize as needed and print on white paper in your best resolution. Carefully cut out the image then apply thinned white glue to the back and drape. Make sure that you push the paper down and around all the nooks and crannies etc. When its dried you can dry brush the flag with pigments to give a realistic worn/used effect.

You can make tarps using the 50/50 diluted white glue/water method. Just use white paper, soak and apply as above or roll/fold up if you like. when it's dried you can paint and weather it as neccessary. This is the best method I have found so far.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the advice Ned, I like the sound of that method I can see that working very well. I'm not up to the stage of making the flag yet but I definately want one to finish off the model. I like the idea of a tarp also, that sounds pretty effective.

Anyway fellas, I'm no model maker but I am fairly happy with the way it is starting to look, here's a few pics of the progress so far far, hope you like it,
    cheers, Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How to make model flag   How to make model flag  

How to make model flag   How to make model flag  

?

Tissue paper and white glue.....best results I have found, it even takes decals, so if you making an sir recognition flag, using a swatika decal goes well.....I have used tissue paper and white glue to make tarps,bed rolls and packs

I can see that working well too mate. I have gone from absolutely no idea on how to go about making a scale flag to several excellent suggestions! Once I have finished the model my plan was to place a scaled identification flag either on the rear or front of the model and then lightly coat the whole model with a sprinkling of modelling snow to tie everything together. If it all works out as I have planned I will post pics of the completed model, if it does'nt work I'll swear, throw it as far as I can, close the thread and sulk for about a week - you'll all know if it works!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast