MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.

Article about: As the title says, lets hear your tips, suggestions, methods and techniques for producing that authentic touch and look to your models! Let's hear how to dry brush, wash and add those small

?

Default The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.

As the title says, lets hear your tips, suggestions, methods and techniques for producing that authentic touch and look to your models! Let's hear how to dry brush, wash and add those small details which make them look used!

I'll start:
    To give exhaust pipes that used and rusted look, mix some bicarbonate of soda into your rust coloured paint and apply to the model. You end up with a rough and rusty finish. Note the pipes coming from the engine and behind the rider's leg before connecting to the silencer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.

I used to make winter camo model tanks and to create the snow affect on tracks I used pre-mixed tile grout. Perfect !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Tip for getting detailing into radiator grills and other very small areas.

Mix about 1 part paint to 10 parts thinner, (I tend to use Tamiya paints so this is easy to do), and mix thoroughly. Get a medium sized brush and paint over the area where you want a darker colour. The thinned painted will go into grooves and other areas and not stay on the 'surface'. Leave to dry so the thinned paint doesn't run out of the gaps you've got it into. When dry, you should have nicely darkened joints etc.... but without darkening of the main paint colour.

As an example, this 1/6th scale Goliath was given this treatment to highlight joins, bolts and hinges.

The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.

I also used the same technique to give the paintwork a dirty look, as can be seen in the same photo.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve T
    Last edited by Steve T; 02-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.

?

I once did a diorama with a winter theme and experimented with all sorts to get the right feel and look to snow, eventually i came up with using ordinary cooking salt which i crushed to powder form, i painted the base colour on the scene and added a light blue to some pva glue, spread this all over then sprinkled the crushed salt over the top, the colour of the light blue came through just right and the natural sparkle of the salt produced a really good looking snow

?

Back to the top for this thread, there are some talented modellers here so please share your tips for the rest of us artistically challenged folk!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

My method of painting figures.
    When painting figures, I do all of the colors and details. I then apply a few coats of dull coat. Then I basically paint the whole figure with black oil paint, and then proceed to wipe off as much as I can. I do tend to go a little easy on the recesses to make sure that I leave some black where it should be. I then apply another two or three coats of dull coat allowing it to dry in between. I then take white oil paint and kind of dry brush most of the high points to lighten them. And again, a couple coats of dull coat. Here are a few photos for reference. The first photo of the officer is before any black oil paint has been applied as well as in a brighter light which has some effect in the brightness of the camo.
    Ralph..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.   The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.  

The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.   The 'How to weather your models and make them look real' Thread.  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Good tips Ralph! I do very similar things with my models.

I will show you guys what I do in my build blog for my flakpanzer I am working on currently, just have to get to that stage first

Jason

Love your SS-Obersturmführer Ralph - ( I always hated doing figures )
    This guy is in my book the king of weathering - Scratchmod - The Art of Destruction - Home his chipped paint effect is mind blowing IMO

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Nice link Dan, he certainly has some skills

Jason