Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ju 52

Article about: I would like to visit Crete at some stage, particularly Heraklion, I imagine it to be a fascinating place.

?

Default Re: Ju 52

Sounds great Dave, I'll try to find some images of that example...snow camo eh...? Fantastic.

?

Yes as i said it was a few yrs ago so im not sure if its still there, i think it was also used in the Battle of Britain film, but i havent been over there for quite some time, it would be interesting to find out if its operational, or just used as a display

Quote by davejb View Post
    Yes as i said it was a few yrs ago so im not sure if its still there, i think it was also used in the Battle of Britain film, but i havent been over there for quite some time, it would be interesting to find out if its operational, or just used as a display
    Hi Dave,

The Ju52 at North Weald was actually a CASA 352L in the silver and black colours of Lufthansa with a large swaz on the tail with a red backround, it flew in in 1984 and was fully restored and re-painted by Aces High Ltd who continued to fly it on and off until it was sold to warbird collector Kermit Weekes in Florida in 1994. The picture below is of it shortly before it was sold.

The Ju52 used in W.E.D. was an original Junkers aircraft leant to the film makers by the Swiss Airforce, one of 3 that they had. It still flies today in Austria giving pleasure flights in the Alps.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ju 52  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thats the one Ned, but where the hell did i see it in the snow camo then , ive only seen the one, and i know it was white camo, could they have painted it twice for a film?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Thats the one Ned, but where the hell did i see it in the snow camo then , ive only seen the one, and i know it was white camo, could they have painted it twice for a film?
    I know it was used in a T.V. series called 'A Piece of Cake' in 1988, but whether they repainted it for that, I don't know I'm afraid.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I know it was used in a T.V. series called 'A Piece of Cake' in 1988, but whether they repainted it for that, I don't know I'm afraid.

Regards, Ned.
    I loved that series and the book !!! Guys, if you havent read it please do !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

What a great looking plane, they really are terrific.

?

Looks Great dave . What Scale is it and Company band?

Greg

G'day Greg, it is a 1/48 scale revell kit of 3./KGzbV1 Greece 1941. One of my uncles was in the 2/4th Australian infantry battalion and fought in Greece before he was evacuated to Crete. He was hit by an exploding round from a messershmidt the day prior to the German airborne invasion of Crete and taken to the Australian field hospital in Heraklion. After the invasion the Germans actually flew him out on one of the JU52's used In the invasion to Athens where he was operated by a German surgeon before eventually being sent by train to the POW camp in Lamsdorf. Thanks for the nice comments Gents, Dave

?

Thanks Dave and for the story to, i had a Italian helmet bought back from Crete and was told it was found on the wing of a Ju52

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast