Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Model P51D Mustang

Article about: Hi Thought you modeling guys might be interested in this article. It's every schoolboy's dream - from the tiny rows of ammunition to the miniature cockpit canopy gracing this stunning model

Default Model P51D Mustang

Hi
    Thought you modeling guys might be interested in this article.

It's every schoolboy's dream - from the tiny rows of ammunition to the miniature cockpit canopy gracing this stunning model aircraft.

It is an exact replica of a P-51D Mustang which was America's primary long-range fighter plane during the Second World War. And it was made by a retired dentist who used some of his instruments to create it.

Built on a 1/16 scale, every part is fully functional, linked by an intricate series of minuscule chains, cables and hinges.

The undercarriage retracts and the controls work, although the levers are so small they have to be operated with a pair of tweezers. Young C Park, from Honolulu, took three years and 6,000 hours to complete the model. Cut away on the left side to show the internal workings, all the sections were machined from common aluminium roof flashing. The metal is annealed to the proper softness, making it easier to form and carve.

Mr Park, 77, used more than 50ft of aluminium, reforming and shaping it on a lathe until he was happy with the result. The metal was usually moulded over a wooden support, but for the large area of the skin behind the cockpit he used the ball of his foot to get the correct shape.

According to Mr Park, working with aluminium is not so different from dental work using gold. Both can be annealed, work-hardened, burnished and made malleable. He also used his dental tools to drill parts of the fuselage and make indentations in the surface of the wing.

The aircraft is 25in long, 10in high and has a wingspan of 27in. It is now on display at the Joe Martin Foundation Craftsmanship Museum in Vista, California.

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Model P51D  Mustang   Model P51D  Mustang  

Attached Images Attached Images Model P51D  Mustang  Model P51D  Mustang 

Default Re: Model P51D Mustang

A stunning piece of work
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

The abilities of the human race never cease to amaze me !! Thanks for showing this model , if you could find a pilot small enough it would probably fly !!
    Al

Now thats workmanship , the hours spent building that , unbeleavable , thanks for showing , cheers Raymond

The craftsmanship in this is just unbelievable..how would someone put a price on this?

?

i'm almost at a loss for words.
    when i picked my jaw up off the floor, all i can say is ,the detail is nothing short of amazing.
    andrew