Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Stalingrad Shortlisted sculpture for the Threadneedle Prize , Mall galleries , 26th Sept

Article about: by Danmark All of the above comments and more Rob - are they life ( or should I say death ) size?? Dan Judging by the cinderblock wall in the first few photos they look to be about 15- 20 in

Default Re: My Stalingrad Shortlisted sculpture for the Threadneedle Prize , Mall galleries , 26th Sept

Thanks Lads !

Im still finalising them . hard to know haow much to work on each figure . They arent actually as realistic as they could be . Its not the intention . id have modelled in wax for tight detail . Here im creating an overall impression , you could say its impressionistic Expressionism . And they are to be sold as a one off original piece , not to be cast , .... unless a commision for that happens . In bronze the texture changes , they would be more classical . The uniforms were to help . but i didnt model anyone in my beat up M36 Tunic . Mainly the greatcoat and boots proved handy to look at on willing friends ! Not sure whether to colour much . i tried a tea bag over one in a blanket . watercolour sprayed on can tone down the white plaster , though its hard to be sure if thats needed. Any ideas / criticism is welcome .....!

I still want to make one , probably an officer in the Winter boots i recently bought .

out of interest im curious as to who got allocated the winter two piece parkas , rabbit fur hats and boots at this early (from our collecting point of view ) period of the war ? Its common knowledge that the Greatcoats were not good enough and hobnailed boots , a liability in the frost of Russia !

Default Re: My Stalingrad Shortlisted sculpture for the Threadneedle Prize , Mall galleries , 26th Sept

I think you really captured the essence of the moment. Even the choice of materials utilized makes the viewer feel the cold of that long retreat. It's very haunting.

Very intense. There is a coldness just by looking at it! You have captured lifes moment of defeat. A true work of art. Regards larry

Personally I love them as they are, or maybe finished in simple white. It's almost as if they are ghosts, very ethereal and appropriate. Very very nice work mate, I would love to do this kind of thing for a living.

Ragged, rough, exhausted, starving and chilled to the bone.... I think what you've got going on right there is the perfect look for conjuring up the "Stalingrad defeat" feel... amazing job!

OH Rob, I would think long and hard before trying to paint some realism into your great project. I'm with Kradspam, the current hues are perfect for the ghostly effect. You are the artist that gave birth to this wonderful piece, so certainly do as you wish, but less in this case will certainly stimulate the viewer more in my very humble opinion.

Good Luck,
    Jay

Yes , I was wanting a slightly otherworld haunting look . I have sprayed white primer over some areas to blend the edges and simulate frost . Heres a close up of my first figure made but in centre of the group
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Stalingrad Shortlisted sculpture for the Threadneedle Prize , Mall galleries , 26th Sept  

No longer men, not yet ghosts. Really superb.

All of the above comments and more Rob - are they life ( or should I say death ) size??
    Dan

Impressive and haunting. Excellent work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast