Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

PanzerIV H work in progress

Article about: by Alan Goodyear Thats the worst bit!! arrghhhh memories @ 1/72nd lol Airfix OO/HO scale Churchill tank........ 22 road wheels + 4 side plates = The very first model kit that I had bought fo

Default Re: PanzerIV H work in progress

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    cheers ez youy must of done a similar kit this is the H version withthe shurzen the sadly chopped a lot out of the earlier 3in1 kits but still plenty to keep me going was yours the short barrel e version if you hated theses tracks avoid noth the panther f and porshejagdtiger by dml total terror to any builder the jagd had all the separate spacer bars so 6 pieces for evey two lengths
    Took some pics of mine.alot of winter hours spent but good enjoyment. Hang in their
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PanzerIV H work in progress   PanzerIV H work in progress  

PanzerIV H work in progress   PanzerIV H work in progress  

no worries EZ i actually get paid to build em so id better hang in there lol look out for the new set of pics coming where ill shoe with better detail how easy the individual links can be assembled nice kingtiger btw is she finished as is with a factory fresh look or are you weathering her up some ??

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    no worries EZ i actually get paid to build em so id better hang in there lol look out for the new set of pics coming where ill shoe with better detail how easy the individual links can be assembled nice kingtiger btw is she finished as is with a factory fresh look or are you weathering her up some ??
    Maybe do something like that this winter .If i got paid by the job to build a model i would go broke but sure is fun post more pics when your done we would all love to see them ENJOY

great job on the track links. I have used the poly cement in the past and this melted plastic parts of my kit, is this normal? has anyone else had this problem?

I switched to super glue instead now which works much better for me personally. I wouldn't be able to get the same realistic track shapes as that though using super glue.

How long did it take to do the tracks?

Quote by Alan Goodyear View Post
    great job on the track links. I have used the poly cement in the past and this melted plastic parts of my kit, is this normal? has anyone else had this problem?

I switched to super glue instead now which works much better for me personally. I wouldn't be able to get the same realistic track shapes as that though using super glue.

How long did it take to do the tracks?
    Yes it will melt plastic but it will give you much more flexabilty until it sets up to make the binds i did a small section and before it set up and made the sharp bends around ft and back then added in the other sections i do use superglue on some items that i need a fast set.My track took aprox 5 hrs total. Hope this helps.

heres the set of during the build pics i promised for the tracks done with standard polystyrene cement and fixed into place with MEK note the locations of the tracks on the rear idler as a final position before completing the set , the toothpick application method and the straight edge used to keep them level and in line , i added approx 70 tracks to the tank in one go and then proceeded to work my way backwards to completion , total time for this side 45 minutes... total tracks for both sides 184 also of note is the fact that dragons magic tracks are provided in two different shades of grey to make it easier to detect their reespctive sides on the tank pay close attention to the direction of travel for the links too as tis easy to put them on backwards ( have to admit i did this at first when making the left side on this kit but the method paid off and i could easily remove and place in the right location ((what can i say first build in more than a year off with the injury)) anyway i really hope this helps other people when it comes to not only the entire build of a tank but especially the trackwork
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PanzerIV H work in progress   PanzerIV H work in progress  

Last edited by panzerjaeger44; 06-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.

this is the next set which includes the ovm maintainance tools etc on the hull and the turret and schurzen build with a few together sets for an idea of how shes gonna look, please note shes not finished yet still have the AA mounted mg34 and side shurzen to do and probably a few other little bits here n there of additional note the lifting hooks on the turret and hull are made on the first page of the instructions be sure to keep them safe the ydont get used till the aforementioned parts are constructed also the lower turret ring goes on after the rear shurzen brackets are fixed that or your trimming the tabs etc

Last edited by panzerjaeger44; 06-28-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Thank you, Panzerjaeger44. That's a fine model, and I'm looking forward to seeing the painting method you previously described. Can you photograph some of your painting tactics, please. That's what I find most fascinating.

which method do you mean the jimenez hairspray method or just that i paint it after its built?? fortunately my wife actually came in and took the close hand work pics for me so i could actually show what i was describing , if its the jimenez hairspray technique well we can all have a laugh if i try it as itll be my first attempt too if its just the regular painting up etc and as long as shes ok holding the camera yeah ill do my best

at last heres the final built unpainted kit as i intend to show it with schurzen plates missing sadly dml put two sets of left plates in so i couldnt have got a proper match if i had tried to put a full set on but anyways hope you have enjoyed it so far next comes the painting im thinking a base coat of tank grey then dunkelgelb and havent yet decided the area of ops and paint cammo yet

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast