Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uss lci 537

Article about: Was at a garage sale today and asked the lady if she had any military items . She said she had a camo covered helmet which turned out to be from the 70s and when I turned around to leave I s

?

Default Uss lci 537

Was at a garage sale today and asked the lady if she had any military items . She said she had a camo covered helmet which turned out to be from the 70s and when I turned around to leave I saw this on a shelf in the cellar . she told me that was a model of the ship her father was on in WWII on D Day . I asked if it was for sale she said sure . Now its mine its 3'5" long Its made of wood and metal the anchors move up and down the deck guns move and the gangplanks move .could anybody tell me where to find some figures for a crew. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uss lci 537   Uss lci 537  

Uss lci 537   Uss lci 537  

Uss lci 537   Uss lci 537  

Uss lci 537  

?

Firstly, you’d have to work out the required scale...
    Secondly, does it really need a crew?
    I think it’s lovely as it is, but then I don’t own it and it’s your choice!

Did the lady’s father build the model himself? If so, it should definitely be kept as it is.
    There I go again. My apologies, it’s up to you, of course.

Anyway, nice find RH... (but keep it as it is)!
    All the best,
    Bob

?

Hi Bob I don't know if he made it . I figure its about 1/48 scale . believe me I love this ship I won't change a thing but the kid in me wants to put a crew on her . Now I just have to find a spot for her . Gary

?

Quite a big spot, too!
    An impressive size, though a little inconvenient. I don’t recall having seen USN crew figures in 1:48, but I’ll have a snoop about. It may well be that you will have to convert something else which, in itself, would be a nice model project... Maybe a single crewman in denim and chambray shirt, with sleeves rolled, coiling a rope on the rear deck, would look good and add a sense of proportion to the model.
    I’m thinking that could be a nice touch after all.
    I’ll let you know if I find anything suitable...
    I’m glad she found a good home.

All the best,
    Bob

?

Thanks Bob and she did find a good home

?

Blimey, that was easier than I expected!
    This company produces 3D printed figures which could provide a good base, but might need a little fine detailing work... they do a set of 10, 1:48 PT Boat crewmen figures, which are pretty generic.
    I’ve never seen their products, so can’t vouch for quality or detail.

Navy Figurines - Shapeways Miniatures

Hope that helps (and the link works),
    Bob
    Last edited by Kohima; 08-26-2018 at 05:31 PM.

?

Thank you Bob

Great find Gary. You need to do some research and see if you can find any wartime pictures of her.

Jay

Very nice model..

Here is a National Archives photo of LCI 537 and debarking troops on June 6, 1944 at Normandy..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uss lci 537  

Here is a link with information about the LCI 537..

Landing Craft Infantry LCI

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast