Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle

Article about: Hello, I just picked up this 1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle. As you can see, it's not a true matching piece, but decent nontheless. I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on the &q

?

Default 1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle

Hello,

I just picked up this 1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle. As you can see, it's not a true matching piece, but decent nontheless. I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on the "ZN3 38" and the number "2" markings on the stock, I'm not really sure what they are. the "FB" is obviously FB Radom factory mark, which would suggest that this gun's final assembly was done at the Radom factory. What do you guys think about the bolt, is it Polish?

I would love to learn more about the Polish rifles. Can anyone suggest any good reference books or other sources of information?

Thank you,

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle   1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle  

1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle   1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle  

1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle  

Default Re: 1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle

Hello Tommy – and welcome to the forum. It’s great to have you here.

Congratulations on picking up this very nice rifle. Polish long guns are not a topic of great knowledge for me.

Quote by tommyz View Post
    Can anyone suggest any good reference books or other sources of information?
    I recently acquired this book, which seems very comprehensive, although it is in my stack of unread books that I am slowly eating my way through. I am hopeful that a person knowledgeable in this area will chime in with the information you are seeking. In the meantime I’ll jump this book up the queue . . .

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1930 P.F.K Warszawa K98 Rifle  

?

Hello Tom, and welcome ....
    Nice rifle !!!!!

I was told a story by an ex Polish para, of how he was shot at by a German sniper after landing at Driel (Arnhem).
    When after a fire fight, the sniper was dispatched, .. it was found that the German had been using a Random Polish Rifle !

The Paratrooper could not believe that he had been shot at by a "Polish" rifle !!

Cheers

Gary J.

?

Tony, thank you for the reference book. I'll keep my eyes open for it on Allegro.

Gary, that is an interesting story thanks for sharing. I know I'd hate to be getting shot at with my own guns.

Tommyz, to answer your questions...

The stamp is Z.W.3.38 and indicates that this Kbk wz.98 was overhauled at the Warsaw Workshop (Zbrojownia Warszawska) in March 1938.

Not sure what the FB cartouche means but final assembly at F.B.Radom is a good guess.

The bolt is a German Imperial bolt not a Polish manufactured one. It appears that it matches to itself on the bolt handle and the cocking shroud. I suspect it might match elsewhere. I believe it was blued by the Germans and not the Poles. My Karabinek (kbk) wz.98 bolt is in the white and has a bent bolt handle. More photos please.

The floorplate has been restamped by the Poles to match the receiver and the stock which is correct. The front and rear bands don't match at all and were serialized by the Germans not the Poles. Does the buttplate match? The stacking rod is Polish not German.

Congrats, its a nice representation of an early numbered Polish Karabinek (kbk) wz.98 produced at P.F.K Warsawa in 1930. IMHO the German bolt is acceptable as these rifles were partly assembled from German parts. Sorry for the late reply, this thread belongs in the 2nd Republic forum. I only stumbled upon it here in the Polish Resistance in WW2 (Armia Krajowa) forum. You may also want to refer to the sticky:

Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns and Crew Served Weapons of Partitioned Poland and the Polish 2nd Republic

I'd also like to use your pics in the sticky and on Gunboards.com.
    Last edited by dastier; 09-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.