Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial

Article about: Here’s an important piece of Polish militaria that has been listed for auction with Hermann Historica. Made of silver by the Gontarczyk firm, this finial eagle for the regimental standard

Default 1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial

Here's an important piece of Polish militaria that has been listed for auction with Hermann Historica. Made of silver by the Gontarczyk firm, this finial eagle for the regimental standard of the 1st Podhale Rifles was presented to the regiment by Polish president Ignacy Moscicki on October 21, 1928. The regiment was engaged in heavy fighting in the first weeks of September with remnants eventually making their way to Lwow in south east Poland. Here the eagle was said to be hidden near the border with the Ukraine. It's rumoured that eagle may have been found and taken to Germany as a souvenir, which is where the first news of its existence surfaced two years ago. Somewhere along the way the eagle's crown, which may have been made of gold, was unscrewed and lost. There's some talk in the collecting community that this item may be on the list of WW2 looted national property, so it'll be interesting to see if the auction listing remains.

Lot 3528 | International military history | Online Catalogue | A79m | Current auctions | Buy | Hermann Historica .

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial   1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial  

1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial   1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial  

1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial   1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Tony,

Many thanks for your post, I was only able to find the following photographs of the presentation of the Standard to the 1PSP in Nowy Sącz, by President
    Ignacy Mościcki, I sincerely hope that you do not mind me posting these.

Best wishes

Andrzej

click on the photographs to enlarge in a new window.

Great work as always Andrzej! Thanks for posting these.

While I’m at it, for those that can read Polish here’s an article published yesterday about the eagle:

Zaginiony orzeł z głowicy sztandaru 1 Pułku Strzelcow Podhalańskich na niemieckiej aukcji! - Zwiadowca Historii

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Great article. interesting comments with the article.

Colonel Satora in "Opowiesci Wrzesniowych sztandarow " gives 4 different versions of what could have happened to this Standard.
    It would be good to find out really what happened to it.

Looks like Polish Museums may be interested in getting it.

Earlier today the hammer dropped at 25,000 EU, despite efforts by the Polish government to halt the sale. And moments ago I heard that the eagle has been confiscated by German law enforcement. Awaiting more details.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial  

In the hands of the Bavarian Police:

Głowica sztandaru Podhalańczykow jest w rękach niemieckiej policji MKiDN - 2019
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Podhale Rifles Regimental Standard Eagle Finial