Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Books written in English about the Poles in the German and Austro Hungarian armies in World War 1

Article about: Does anyone know of any books written in English about the Poles in the German and Autro Hungarian armies in World War I? I'm looking for detailed books that specifically discuss these topic

Question Books written in English about the Poles in the German and Austro Hungarian armies in World War 1

Does anyone know of any books written in English about the Poles in the German and Autro Hungarian armies in World War I? I'm looking for detailed books that specifically discuss these topics either as part of the history of German and Austro Hungarian armies in WW I or as separate book subject themselves.

Also is it possible to research the archives of the Austro Hungarian Army about Poles enlisted in the Kuk? My grandfather was a Galician Pole either killed in WW I or that died shortly thereafter from his wounds. I don't know anything about him except his name and where he was from.

Thanks

Hi Mike, off the cuff the only one that comes to mind is "Way of the Lancer" by Richard Boleslawski, but it has to do with service in the Imperial Russian Army. The book, published in 1932, chronicles the true events in the life of a young Pole serving as a lieutenant in a cavalry regiment in 1917 during the revolution. Apparently a good read, although I don't know too much more as it remains perpetually on my "to be read" stack. For some reason other books continue to pop in ahead of it on my priority list. Incidentally, the author eventually moved to the United Sates and gained some fame as a film director.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Dastier, give me his details and i will do some searching..... We are looking into the same areas. I have a request running with the vienna archives that looks promising. Also i have found a few sites and forums all in Polish that reveals more on certain units in the K.U.K and where and what they were up to.

I noticed there are hardly any books in english on the Austro-Hungarian forces on the Eastern front that go into much detail. Even less with the Russian forces or any databases.

Try "Armies in Exile" by David Stefancic (East European Monographs, Boulder Distributed by Columbia University Press, New York, 2005). Though it deals with Polish Armies since 1800, there are 3 great chapters on the Austrian, French and Russian armies in WWI, one of the only ones I've found in English.