Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats?

Article about: Was wondering if anyone can tell me what the collar patches on the greatcoats represent beneath the collar stripes? Picture was sent to me through the course of my research, its from a famil

Default Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats?

Was wondering if anyone can tell me what the collar patches on the greatcoats represent beneath the collar stripes? Picture was sent to me through the course of my research, its from a family in Poland. It's either a group photo of No.22 Telegraph Company from the 22nd Infantry Division taken in the mid 30's or a 1934 graduating class from the NCO School of No.6 Telegraph Battalion. The family records of their father have him in both units at different periods. Curious about the collar patches or anything else that might seem significant that identifies this photo as signals troops. Apologies for the quality of the image that's as good as it gets.

Regards
    Chris......
    Attached Images Attached Images Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats? 

Default Re: Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats?

Hello Chris,

By the cap, I would say this was a mountain regiment because of the badge and feather as well as the snow.

The greatcoat lapels show the same badge below the striped insignia which represents the branch of the army, the bottom stripe (which matches the main backing for the tunic tabs) is extremely dark which would mean most likely Black for Signals or Engineers or Blue for Infantry and the top stripe (this matches the flange on the collar tunic tabs) is much lighter most likely Blue for Signals or Engineers or Yellow for Infantry.

The regiment badge insignia would be either the Pułk Strzelców Podhalańskich or the 21 Dywizja Piechoty Górskiej.

Strzelcy podhala
    3 Pu
    21 Dywizja Piechoty Górskiej

Here is a photo posted by Tony showing "Lt. Colonel Stefan Szlaszewski, CO of the 2nd Podhale Rifle Regiment" which shows clearly the mountain Infantry unit badge on the collar tab on the second post.

Polish Headgear

I have a Wz.27 cap which could match the cap and lapel badge from the mountain Infantry for a Lance Corporal (Kapral), 3 Pułk Strzelców Podhalańskich rogatywka (the Eagle's feather would fit behind the cap's badge).

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...09/#post567857

Justin
    justin1939
    Last edited by justin1939; 07-27-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks Justin I missed the feather in the cap.

Slight correction to your info as the individual was in No.22 Telegraph Company of 22 Dywizja Piechoty Górskiej.
    Any idea what the collar patches on the greatcoats beneath the collar stripes look like?

Chris....

Hello Chris,

Here is a link to the 22 Dywizja Piechoty Górskiej - 22 Dywizja Piechoty Górskiej

The Highlanders (22 Dywizja Piechoty Górskiej which is different from my cap which I think is from the 2 Pułk Strzelców Podhalańskich) Cross metal badge (or embroidered Silver bullion wire badge for the officers) which is found on the greatcoat lapels and collar tabs is shown in the photo on the left at the bottom of my message.

Here is are two links (from a reference website) to a Private of the 2 Pułk Strzelców Podhalańskich and 2nd Lieutenant (Podpuruznik) of the 1. Pułku Strzelców Podhalańskich which shows the collar tabs.

The cloak insignia would would be exactly the same as found on a greatcoat.

Untitled Document
    Untitled Document

The tunic collar tabs would be a Black background and a Blue flange (the same as the Signals for a Telegraphic unit) with the metal unit insignia attached in the correct position.

Justin

justin1939
    Attached Images Attached Images Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats?  Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats? 
    Last edited by justin1939; 07-27-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks again for helping solve this little mystery Justin.
    Chris......

A couple of pics to add to the discussion.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats?   Collar patches on signals troops greatcoats?  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks again Justin and Tony.

Two further questions. In my photo the badges on the signalmen collars seem larger and pinned lower than the examples you provided was this typical (also) what is the style of helmet called in your examples?

Chris.....
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 07-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Hi Chris,

The badges do appear larger in your photo. Maybe the light is catching them and reflecting in a way as to make them appear larger - ?? Unfortunately the photo is just too small and weakly focused for me to discern anything more.

This hat style is known as a Kapelusz Góralski, or Mountaineers Hat. This is the traditional headdress of the highlanders that live in the mountainous regions of southern Poland. These are made from a single piece of heavy khaki green coloured felt. The Podhale infantry adapted the style in the 1930’s for use with the dress uniform.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony.